Recommendations: Lotoo PAW S1 or DAP
Mar 13, 2021 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ShyamS

Head-Fier
I can’t decide between getting Lotoo PAW S1 and use it with my iPhone or getting DAP like Hiby R6 or Shanling M3X. My main source of music is mostly Tidal MQA and sometimes Spotify. I have few IEM’s and I’m considering getting a headphone (Focal Celestee maybe) Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 19
One thing to consider is that the PAW S1 picks up EMI noise pretty badly. This is something super noticeable if I have the S1 and my iPhone 12 pro both inside my pocket. I mostly use the S1 with my iPad and that I don't experience the issue with that combo. I will usually take one of my portable DAC/amps with me over one of my DAPs since most of the players out there still run like garbage compared to modern phones. If I plan to run my headphones portable for more than like 4-5 hours then I deal with a DAP since my iPhone gets terrible battery life when connected to the S1, hip dac or Q3.

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 19
Thank you, I guess it’s not the best. The newer generation DAP have pretty good Android OS

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 19
I can’t decide between getting Lotoo PAW S1 and use it with my iPhone or getting DAP like Hiby R6 or Shanling M3X. My main source of music is mostly Tidal MQA and sometimes Spotify. I have few IEM’s and I’m considering getting a headphone (Focal Celestee maybe) Any suggestions?
If you can stretch a bit get the L&P W2. The best dongle out there that can compete with music player that cost 4 times more

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 19
If you can stretch a bit get the L&P W2. The best dongle out there that can compete with music player that cost 4 times more
Thank you! I can stretch the budget but my primary goal is to use it with MQA unfolding ability because I don’t really have any local song collection. 😞

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 19
Something in the mid/hi-fi section of DAPs are starting to look better. Something like the R6 2020 would be decent. I'm looking to pick one up soon to see how they compare as something to replace my iPhone for daily audio use.

Decency start at 800 $ ??? Damn ....

Regarding OP question , considering you already have an Iphone, which would be more future proof than any past , present and future DAP on the market (regarding streaming features , OS update... ) , i would go for a dongle if i were you.

There is plenty of them (like new Hidizs S9 which seems pretty good on paper : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hidizs-s9-review-headphone-adapter.21152/).

No extra battery to manage , tiny size , tiny price , good performance, and if you get tired of the sound , or want to change the sound presentation, you just get another dongle.
No need to change the source.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 19
Decency start at 800 $ ??? Damn ....

Regarding OP question , considering you already have an Iphone, which would be more future proof than any past , present and future DAP on the market (regarding streaming features , OS update... ) , i would go for a dongle if i were you.

There is plenty of them (like new Hidizs S9 which seems pretty good on paper : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hidizs-s9-review-headphone-adapter.21152/).

No extra battery to manage , tiny size , tiny price , good performance, and if you get tired of the sound , or want to change the sound presentation, you just get another dongle.
No need to change the source.
I agree! Portable USB DAC are the way to go unless there is a really good reason to invest that much into a DAP.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #13 of 19
Sorry I have only the S1 and W2. MQA sounds very good and clean with the S1.
Definitely is a very good value dongle DAC/amp.
Thank you. The reason I asked is because if the difference is not too big then I can simply get W2 because based on your comments and reviews out there, it’s really great DAP.

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for the recommendations! I got L&P W2 two days ago and couldn’t be more happier. Most of my IEM were 2.5 and I’m in the process of getting 4.4 adapter so I’m just using my 3.5 mm cable. Hopefully it sounds even better with balanced input.

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 19
Thanks for the recommendations! I got L&P W2 two days ago and couldn’t be more happier. Most of my IEM were 2.5 and I’m in the process of getting 4.4 adapter so I’m just using my 3.5 mm cable. Hopefully it sounds even better with balanced input.
The DDHifi 2.5 to 4.4 adapter is very decent. I got two to be used with all my cables and W2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back