Recommendations for Thelonious Monk?
May 23, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 12
"The Genius of Modern Music vol. 1 & 2" are on Blue Note - those are some good choices.

As for the Riverside/Fantasy, I highly recommend: "Brillant Corners" - this is some nutty ****.

Also: 'Monk & Coltrane"

"Live at the It Club", "Monk in Tokyo" & "Straight No Chaser" are good later period, Columbia ones.

May 23, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 12
oh yes, Blue Note not Verve. my bad.
tongue.gif

May 23, 2002 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 12
I second the recommendations for "Genius of Modern Music Vol.s I & II" (make sure to get the recently remastered RVG editions) and "Brilliant Corners" (make sure to get the recently remastered K2 edition).

I would also heartily recommend "Monk's Music" which features both Coleman Hawkins and Coltrane on tenor sax. (make sure to get the K2 edition of this one as well).

All of the mulitdisc live Monk sets from the 60s on Columbia are excellent - you can't go wrong with any of them IMO.

May 23, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 12
Straight, No Chaser is a no-brainer; one of the greatest jazz albums of all time, IMO.

My other Monk favorite is his eponymous album with Coltrane.

May 24, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 12
I recently auditioned "underground" that I got from a friend. Now I gotta get an amp with crossfeed! With headphones I find it hard to listen to. On my speakers it's okay...but man...how distracting with cans!
just my thoughts,
md

May 24, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 12
oh as side note,

If you ever want to audition SACD, your components, etc., use the the solo track on Straight No Chaser 'Between the Devil & Deep Blue Sea'(either CD or SACD) - about as good a piano recording from the 60s I've heard, sonically that is, and with Monk behind the keys.

May 24, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
=If you ever want to audition SACD, your components, etc., use the the solo track on Straight No Chaser 'Between the Devil & Deep Blue Sea'(either CD or SACD) - about as good a piano recording from the 60s I've heard, sonically that is, and with Monk behind the keys.

I totally agree, Ben. That's both a great track and a stellar recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back