Recommendations for Restaurants in Bay Area
Aug 17, 2009 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jilgiljongiljing

Headphoneus Supremus
My wedding anniversary is coming up and I'd like to take the wife out to dinner to a nice high end restaurant in the bay area. I'm not too particular on the budget, the fancier the better.

Would prefer not to go to SanFran for this, something closer to San Jose or Mountain View would be ideal. Oh, and she's vegetarian, so atleast one entree on the menu has to be veg. Any recommendations from the head-fi members from NorCal?

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 12
I've been to some, but I think I was stoned for 99% of the time I lived in SF, so I can't remember the names. I know there was a Chinese place that had pictures of half of the recent presidents on their walls, and it was WAY expensive, but I can't remember the name or even what section of town it was in.

While you're up there, though, be sure to hit Tu Lan... it's the best Vietnamese food I've ever had (it's a San Francisco legend). Just be sure not to trip over a homeless person on the sidewalk (it's not in the best part of town).

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 12
I'm sure French Laundry can accommodate something special. I hope you're a couple months out.
wink.gif

Nothing truly high end in the south bay from what I can tell.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 12
Nice work guys, very nice recommendations. I found La Foret myself, the reviews on Yelp are solid, theres a veg Pasta, and it looks like a nice place to go to.

I'll check the other places out and pick one. I thought of Santana Row, but oddly enough I couldn't really find anything all that fancy.

I've heard of this Chez Panisse in Berkeley, it has been on my list for a while. I'll check that out as well.

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 12
Santana Row is not what I'd consider an upscale place, although the French place is pretty tasty. Left Bank, I think? Chez Panisse is good, but I wouldn't say it necessarily tastes any better than some cheaper places in Berkeley. My go-to for semi-upscale is probably Incanto in SF. Horrible place for vegetarians, though.

I suggest going up to Yountville for any of Thomas Kellar's other restaurants, like Bouchon. Delicious.

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Santana Row is not what I'd consider an upscale place, although the French place is pretty tasty. Left Bank, I think? Chez Panisse is good, but I wouldn't say it necessarily tastes any better than some cheaper places in Berkeley. My go-to for semi-upscale is probably Incanto in SF. Horrible place for vegetarians, though.

I suggest going up to Yountville for any of Thomas Kellar's other restaurants, like Bouchon. Delicious.

Santana Row is too bustling for a relaxing anniversary dinner. Furthermore, no restaurants there are truly fine dining. Left Bank is okay, but it's more of a date-night type of place.

I ate at Chez Panisse for my 21st birthday, and it was excellent. The allure of that place is in the clinical precision with which the meal is executed. Everything looks plain, but it tastes great. And it's somewhat historic, in terms of Bay Area food. The atmosphere is also very nice. Highly recommended for an anniversary dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back