Recommendations for quiet listening sessions
Nov 9, 2014 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

R Giskard

Used to work for HAD Audiolab
Previously known as Akatona.
Hello guys!

I would like to ask for some help with respect to my future headphones for quiet listening in the evening. My equipment is Bryston (BDP-1 player, BDA-2 D/A converter, BHA-1 headphone amplifier) and Sennheiser HD800 with it's CH800S cable. What I would like is to have a pair of headphones that would sound good without the need to have it pushed high in volume. The headphones need not be on the level of the HD800 of course.

What I have considered is something like a Grado GS1000e or something similar that has a certain signature of it's own. It would also be good if such a headphone would be more forgiving with suboptimal recordings - trading detail for music flow I suppose. I suspect AKG K812 is wonderful but I doubt it would be what I am looking for in this case and it is more likely it is more similar to HD800 than different. Headphones will be difficult to audition I'm afraid so I depend on you guys to point me in the right direction.

Thanks and best wishes!
Antun

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 4
Something like the LCD range, Audio Technica Woodies, TH900. Depends on what kind of sound sig you are looking for. Mid-centric or bass/treble heavier headphones would sound more exciting at lower volume. Something with that extra "spice" instead of being flat.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 4
I would suggest any of the modded t50rp headphones such as the closed ZMF or Mr speakers and the open th500 foster. The Sony mdrz7 is a pretty fun can to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back