Recommendations for professional pcb manufacturing.
Feb 5, 2006 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

joostoo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, would anyone be able to recommend a good place that makes professional pcb's with these guidelines:
1) Silkscreening and soldermask
2) Reasonable cost
3) Quality is above or is par
4) These one isnt a necessity, but it would be still valued. The company exepts panelized boards.

Ive looked at expresspcb (because I use the software), and the costs are only pretty good if you use the miniboard service, which doesnt have silkscreen or soldermask.

Futurlec (www.futurlec.com) seemed to have good prices and includes silkscreening and soldermask, however I dont know the quality.

On another note, does anyone have a guide to making gerber files from expresspcb? The closest I can get is a .DXF file. Please do not recommened Eagle, I tried ( and have ) it but I found expresspcb more user friendly. Plus I already have 15+ boards made in expresspcb, and I would not like to redo them.

Thank you!

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 8
From what I've heard, you pretty much have to remake the files in another program if you want to use a service other than ExpressPCB, as ExpressPCB files are encrypted, and while you may be able to decrypt them, it would be illegal to do so.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by xikteny
From what I've heard, you pretty much have to remake the files in another program if you want to use a service other than ExpressPCB, as ExpressPCB files are encrypted, and while you may be able to decrypt them, it would be illegal to do so.

Your kidding?! That really sucks. I don't want to redo them mostly because most of the component were custom made. Now I got to redo them
frown.gif
Well, anyone else have suggestions?

Feb 6, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 8
i dont remember if there was a way to decrypt expresspcb files. but you are more then likely SOL if you don't want to use the expresspcb manufacturing options.

to use other board houses you'd have to use another software package that will give you a non proprietery board file at the end of it. some use eagle some use protel some use proteus some use orcad etc etc etc. the bad thing is theyre all rather pricey.

oh and pirating eagle ends up locking up the files
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 8
I've had good luck with pcbexpress.com for small proto runs and pcbpro.com for larger runs (same board house, two different sites). As stated in previous posts, you would need to supply standard gerber file artwork.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 8
Http://www.goldenphonixpcb.biz is a chinese company which fits the criteria. They are used by BatchPCB which is the small volume prototyping house I just used. Quality seems to be good, there were no obvious defects in either boards I received and they had some very small traces and clearences too.

They also definitly accept pannelized boards since that's how BatchPCB organise the small volume boards.

Feb 7, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 8
I've used or looked into each of the following:

Used to order:

http://www.4pcb.com/index.htm - aka Advanced Circuits - okay quality, not bad, not great. Often run specials that make it hard to turn them down and even when I've ordered using a slow turn they've produced boards quicker than required. This has sort of left me with the impression that they aren't that busy and may be trying to entice more orders.

http://www.pcbnet.com/ - aka Imagineering - great quality, great service, pretty darn good pricing too. Offer things like second order credits which makes them very good for repeat business. Always turn boards over when they say they will.

Used to build:

http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz/ - aka Golden Phoenix - boards are alright, I've been told that it can be a pain to try to maximize the benefit of their panelized system because PCB legends sometimes get mixed up in the conversion process. Quality seems to be as good as Advanced Circuits, but not up to Imagineering. Sometimes they are the best way to get a one-of (
wink.gif
) large PCB made as the price is better on a per square inch basis than ordering a proto from a traditional board house. Turn around time isn't all that bad either.

That's my experience,

Nate

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 8
Hey, thanks for the responces guys.

I looking at the sites you guys gave me, and ive come to one conclusion. Finding a pcb house to suit my needs wont be too hard. Most fit all my needs, except one....

I cant make a gerber!!!! I've been looking for some expresspcb to gerber convertors with no luck! As Ive said before, designing and laying out the boards is almost out of the question. But I guess if it needs to be, it needs to be.

EDIT: I was looking at expresspcb's prices again, and i noticed something. I realized that their miniboard service allows text to be written. Text makes up probably 80% of my silkscreening needs. I can (sort of) live without component silk screening and a soldermask. just thought Id share that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back