Recommendations for Jazz, some Classic Rock, Radiohead
Mar 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

disgruntleddave

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings.

I've done a lot of searching on the forums. I'm looking for headphones (sub $300).

My favourite music is Jazz. I'm a jazz player, would prefer a rather neutral set. I listen to various types. Sometimes recordings from a small jazz bar, sometimes big band (more new big band rather than count basie or ellington). Plenty of contemporary jazz, and love a good jazz trio (brad mehldau!!!).

The problem is that I also will be listening to a lot of radiohead. Some zeppelin, floyd, blues, and a few other current groups like the flaming lips, the shins, etc. Also some classical once in a while. Hip hop, as well.

I've gathered that many people like the k701/702 for jazz/classical, although there are plenty of people who don't like them and criticize the midrange. I've also read that the hd600s are liked for jazz. I'm still uncertain on whether something like the akgs would suit radiohead, and also be able to do a decent enough job with the flaming lips or other rock, as well as hip-hop.

I'll be buying an amp too, that's a given, but don't know what yet.

I'm coming from (woefully) unamped re0s. I think I'm looking for a neutral set. I'm not a basshead. A fair bass representation at normal levels makes me happy. A tiny bit of pop and power, but I definitely don't like an exaggerated representation.

Any help is much appreciated. Even some general input. Anyone with similar musical tastes chiming in would be excellent. Thanks.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 8
The HD600 is an excellent all-round choice for jazz, classical, or whatever.  It's an honest, neutral, detailed reproducer of whatever you feed them.  I  do a lot of hi-res LP ripping of all musical genres and these cans truly reveal the quality [or lack thereof] of the original vinyl -- I need to hear what's actually on the record AND how successful the resulting digital transfer turns out without anything added or removed.

They also benefit from [and reveal] the differences between upgraded electronics and the headphone cables used in the process.

IMHO you can't go wrong with these cans, Cardas cables and a Schitt Asgard amp unless you want to drop a lot more cash for the usual bragging rights/BS heard on these forums.

scs999

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 8
Grado 325is or RS-2.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Grado 225i's or HD600 or 650

The Grado's will give you an exciting sound for Jazz and Rock and can be driven by pretty much any amplifier.

The Sennheisers are better phones but need good amplification to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back