Recommendations for good cans to be used on Kann Cube DAP?
Oct 2, 2022 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DaveC1964

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am looking for some decent cans to be used on a Kann Cube DAP. I wanted to get some recommendations for those who have used this DAP before and what can it drive well. I won't be using any additional external amps.

To me the DAP seems to be a bit bright with my existing cheapo cans (some old Bose, don't know the model). It probably is the cans I imagine.

Some info:

I mainly listen to rock, everything from the "spacey" type (ex: Pink Floyd) through metal and everything in between.

My budget is around $1000 or less.

I don't need or want noise canceling or other gimmicks.
I want wired only.
I listen in quiet environment so open back OK.
I want good deep bass although not over emphasized or boomy. I don't want cans with anemic bass either. It must produce those rock bass riffs well (especially for the heavy metal tunes).
I don't want cans that are overly bright. Electric guitar riffs can be a bit too harsh in that case. Obviously I don't want a muffled sound either.

I realize I can EQ the sound a little to fine tune but want to start with a good match played flat.

Thanks much.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi,
I am looking for some decent cans to be used on a Kann Cube DAP. I wanted to get some recommendations for those who have used this DAP before and what can it drive well. I won't be using any additional external amps.

To me the DAP seems to be a bit bright with my existing cheapo cans (some old Bose, don't know the model). It probably is the cans I imagine.

Some info:

I mainly listen to rock, everything from the "spacey" type (ex: Pink Floyd) through metal and everything in between.

My budget is around $1000 or less.

I don't need or want noise canceling or other gimmicks.
I want wired only.
I listen in quiet environment so open back OK.
I want good deep bass although not over emphasized or boomy. I don't want cans with anemic bass either. It must produce those rock bass riffs well (especially for the heavy metal tunes).
I don't want cans that are overly bright. Electric guitar riffs can be a bit too harsh in that case. Obviously I don't want a muffled sound either.

I realize I can EQ the sound a little to fine tune but want to start with a good match played flat.

Thanks much.
I found that the Kann Cube was very engaging with the Audeze LCD-X/LCD-XC for a variety of genres. You may want to try them as a suggestion. You can find them well under $1000 second hand. I never eq them but both headphones respond well to equalizing. I'd also recommend getting the extended yoke rods for added comfort. Balanced cables are easy to find on Amazon or Hart Audio Cables as well.

The Focal Celeste and Clear may be worth researching as well to see if they float your boat soundwise. I find both of these headphones enjoyable as well but did not try them with the Kann Cube.

I almost forgot to mention the Hifiman Arya SE. They are easy to drive, sound great, and really draw you into your music especially if there is a a generous hint of warmth in the sound your DAC/Amp produces. All the best with your search.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 9
I found that the Kann Cube was very engaging with the Audeze LCD-X/LCD-XC for a variety of genres. You may want to try them as a suggestion. You can find them well under $1000 second hand. I never eq them but both headphones respond well to equalizing. I'd also recommend getting the extended yoke rods for added comfort. Balanced cables are easy to find on Amazon or Hart Audio Cables as well.

The Focal Celeste and Clear may be worth researching as well to see if they float your boat soundwise. I find both of these headphones enjoyable as well but did not try them with the Kann Cube.

I almost forgot to mention the Hifiman Arya SE. They are easy to drive, sound great, and really draw you into your music especially if there is a a generous hint of warmth in the sound your DAC/Amp produces. All the best with your search.
Thanks. How about the mids on the Kann Cube? Are there treble spikes noticed, sibilance?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks. Do the audeze have decent bass? Also there is a lot of turmoil I read here about getting the "2021" version. The thread was all about how to make sure to get the newer one but not what the difference was. What is that about and what is the difference between that and the "old" one?

Thanks.
I can't speak for everyone but I have always received an excellent low end response on my LCD-X & LCD-XC. Both are easily driven but scale with more powerful amps. I wouldn't exactly call them lacking for bass.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 9
I can't speak for everyone but I have always received an excellent low end response on my LCD-X & LCD-XC. Both are easily driven but scale with more powerful amps. I wouldn't exactly call them lacking for bass.
How do the focals compare to the LCD-X? I generally prefer a bit warmer sound but not muffled of course.

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 9
How do the focals compare to the LCD-X? I generally prefer a bit warmer sound but not muffled of course.
It's been a while since I've last heard the Focal Celestee. I don't recollect why I became so enamored with them. I just thought The Celestee were fun to listen to. Slightly warm to me but an inviting sound. I liked the Celestee a lot. It seemed relatively easy to drive from my DAP. I would try it if possible to see if it's to your taste. I found that is a decent all arounder that works with many genres of music. It's a pretty good closed back headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back