recommendations for first cans
Apr 25, 2011 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

quiksilverj

New Head-Fier
Ok I'm new to all of this so bear with me. I recently came across some beats solo headphones for more than half off so I figured is try them. I wasn't all that impressed for such a high retail but ill admit they look nice. Anyway I'm returning them and was hoping to get some recommendations for something better and more reasonably priced.

I'll be toting them around a good bit so they will need to sound good without an amp and be portable. I'll also be using them in semi noisy areas so noise isolation would be nice but I don't want to keep feeding the things batteries for cancellation. I listen to a pretty wide range but mainly rock, rap, and country. They will be mainly used with my laptop.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 11
You may want to try in here, you will likely get a better response.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-don-t-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/3405

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 11
Here are some recomendations for ya:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Denon AH-D1100

Sennheiser HD438, HD238, HD25-1

Ultrasone HFi-580, HFi-780

You'll find deep powerful bass as well as oustanding overall sound quality with all of these options.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
ATH AD700, ATH M50, Shure 840, HD25, Ultrasone DJ1

Yeah I feel like AD700's are many people's first set of cans. They were mine, as well as a few of my friends.
They ultimately led to me becoming a complete AT fanboy. They're not great for all around use, in terms of bringing them out of the house, but man do they kick ass when you're listening through your computer or relaxing around the house.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
AD700's lack on bass, and they are not portable...too bulky. 

I had mentioned they weren't portable, chill. You're not going to get something that cheap with that great a soundstage, heaven forbid it's light on the bass. The kid used to have Beats, which we are know are morbid enough on their EQ as it is.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I had mentioned they weren't portable, chill. You're not going to get something that cheap with that great a soundstage, heaven forbid it's light on the bass. The kid used to have Beats, which we are know are morbid enough on their EQ as it is.

OT, but I have a feeling you're gonna have to change that username pretty soon.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

OT, but I have a feeling you're gonna have to change that username pretty soon.

I use it on a lot of forums and rarely ever get asked to change it. It's not like changing my username is just going to make a marginally controversial word just dissapear from your day to day life. And considering the nearly nude women in the thread of people wearing headphones pictures, this forum would have it's priorities in the wrong place if I was asked to change it.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shitkick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use it on a lot of forums and rarely ever get asked to change it. It's not like changing my username is just going to make a marginally controversial word just dissapear from your day to day life. And considering the nearly nude women in the thread of people wearing headphones pictures, this forum would have it's priorities in the wrong place if I was asked to change it.

Oh, you don't need to justify your choice to me.  I'm not easily offended.  It's just a word.  But Mods care.  I figured I'd just give you fair warning.

More on topic: OP, do you have a certain specific budget in mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back