Recommendations for DAP and iems please
Nov 9, 2018 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dimmockg

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm in the position and in the market to purchase a nice little portable music set up, budget depending I can afford a dap and iems and was after some recommendations based on my requirements. Here are a few desires...

DAP:
First and foremost it must do gapless - most important as a lot of my music is mixed DJ/album EDM music
WiFi (for streaming from a nas) would be a nice to have
Most have BT these days

Budget up to £250

Iems:
Ideally a good match for the DAP and EDM, would (if possible) have flexibility of being worn over ear or down. But not a deal breaker

I've had Yamaha eph100 and Dunu 1k before - liked both

Was thinking perhaps ibasso it01, one more triple, final e400(or similar)

Budget up to £150 or more if less spent in a dap

Any ideas at all?

Nov 13, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 21
Iems:
Ideally a good match for the DAP and EDM, would (if possible) have flexibility of being worn over ear or down. But not a deal breaker

I've had Yamaha eph100 and Dunu 1k before - liked both

Was thinking perhaps ibasso it01, one more triple, final e400(or similar)

IT01 is a great value. Very nice bass, in particular, but some (including me) are not in love with the mids. But for the price, very good all-round performance.

Others in the same category that are getting good reviews/feedback include Anew U1, TFZ Queen, TFZ Secret Garden. BGVP DMG and DM6 are the new hypeness. I haven't heard any of these, but may be worth checking reviews of any/all of them.

Those are all over-ear. For wearing down, you might also look at the Periodic lineup, Tinaudio T2.

A dark horse option that might or might not be relevant for you is the Advanced GT3 Superbass. It's intended to be worn over-ear, but if you swap out the cables for ones without ear guides, it's pretty easy to wear down as well. (At least for my ears, YMMV.) The Superbass isn't necessarily a bass cannon, despite the name, it has really great mids. But it is quite dark and warm in tuning, so won't suit everyone.

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for the very useful and informative info. Had a quick look into some of those mentioned and a couple certainly warrant further digging

Jan 22, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 21
Update on this.....

Dap is sorted - fiio M6

Still looking for iems - tried final e4000 and felt the bass/low end was a little to much so have sent those back, also felt they didn't go that loud and have read they thrive on power - anyway they've gone

On the hunt, ideal iems for EDM & electronic music

Budget absolute maximum is £200 or £250 for something extraordinarily special, my short list...

Ibasso it01s
BGVP DM6
Campfire comet (but would prefer she'll like iems)
Moondrop Kanas
TFZ king pro
Fiio fh5

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 21
I read about most of them and own the Kanas Pro.
It seems like the Kanas Pro, Comet and IT01s are a level above the rest.

Kanas Pro and IT01s share a similar technology, most seem to agree that the Kanas Pro is the better of the two.
Character of the Kanas is somewhat emphasized sub bass, strong but clean bass, mids are the highlight, detailed, smooth and with very good separation, treble is slightly on the safer side, smooth and clear, not sharp. Tips make a big difference.

The Comet is more mid-centric and wamer/fuller from what I understand.

I have been using and testing the KPE for more than 2 weeks and am very impressed by the full, extended yet clear and detailed sound.
Bass can be quite strong, especially sub bass, but you can influence that a lot by chosing different tips.

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 21
Thankshanks for the info, very useful. Have you by any chance heard the final e4000 at all? Bass on that was just a little bit to much and ideally I'd need to avoid getting a set that offered similar/the same with bass

I think my short list is...

It01s
Dunu falcon c
BGVP DM6 (but the wait will put me off)
Moondrop Kanas Pro

I think I've ruled the comet out due to their shape

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 21
I've just bought a m6 which is really good for the price. I'm looking at pretty much same item as you. I own dm6 which sound great but their clarity fatigue me. I mainly listen to metal though

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 21
@gazzington what do you think compared to the R3? (Think you had one)

I did get an R3 but returned it, more than happy with the M6

Just the minefield of getting the 'right' iem

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 21
@gazzington what do you think compared to the R3? (Think you had one)

I did get an R3 but returned it, more than happy with the M6
I prefer the m6. I've owned hiby R3 and r6 but the sound was not for me. The m6 is actually a bargain.

Just the minefield of getting the 'right' iem
I'm also considering westone, campfire comet, audio flares, periodic be, flc 8n.
Not sure what to get

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 21
Oh and moondrop Kanas pro. Not sure what to get

Users who are viewing this thread

Back