Recommendations for closed headphones
Aug 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DairyProduce

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

So I've recently been looking for some closed headphones to use at my apartment - I don't need to use them on the go.

The reason for this is that the open headphones I had before were disturbing my flat-mates and I would also like a little bit of isolation and would prefer not to have other people listening to what I'm listening to as well.

I've already tried in-ears and ear-buds as well as customs before, but I vastly prefer the feeling of not having anything stuck in my ear. 

After doing some research, I've come down to some interesting models that I would like some feedback on in terms of how much sound gets leak and their overall sound quality.

- T5p
- ATH and Denon woodies
- TH600/TH900
- noise-cancelling? QC-15 (I've tried them before, but I feel this strange pressure on my ears when I use them; they do cancel out a lot of sound though)
- wait for the closed-back audeze...

Just as a reference, I preferred the SR-007 and HD800 over the LCD-3, which I found too dark.

Thanks!

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 12
The Fostex TH900 is the best closed can I have heard so far.  However even at is new lower price of $1,500, it falls short of the best open cans at or below its price point--down to and including the HE-500.

Have only heard the 900 at Head-Fi meets, so my read on its isolation is limited.  My impression was that it isolated reasonably well.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 12
a used T5p on headfi is about 1/2 the price of a new TH900, just saying -- Of course I'm biased b/c I've had the T1 and T5p, and honestly I've liked the T5p a LOT better than the T1. The bass was crisper and punchy, and the soundstage felt wider, which is weird cuz the T1 is semi-open and the T5p is closed.

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 12
ATH-w1000x is a good value for your money, even though I just got rid of mine to fund other purchases. Also they look really slick with their wooden finish. Subbass is present and bass extension is pretty decent. Worked pretty well with my DACPort..

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
KG Jag: in what aspects do the TH900 fall short? the soundstage or something else as well?

The sound stage certainly falls short.  The best way to answer this is to check this out and compare the #24 TH900 with the 23 cans rated above it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_LCD2b

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
a used T5p on headfi is about 1/2 the price of a new TH900, just saying -- Of course I'm biased b/c I've had the T1 and T5p, and honestly I've liked the T5p a LOT better than the T1. The bass was crisper and punchy, and the soundstage felt wider, which is weird cuz the T1 is semi-open and the T5p is closed.

Can't say I agree. 

I own the T1 and have spent quite a bit of time with the 5p at Head-Fi meets and powered by some very impressive equipment.  I was very unimpressed with the 5p for what Beyer wants for it.  Can't imagine anyone hearing the sound stage of the 5p being larger than that of the T1, unless the upline equipment was not able to properly drive the T1 (which is not that difficult to drive from an amp) or the T1 was defective.

I rate both the TH900 and TH600 as significantly better cans than the 5p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back