Recommendations For Closed Back Over Ear Headphones under $300
Dec 30, 2016 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

viniv

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a $300 Closed Back Over Ear Headphone. I listen mostly rock (all of its subgeneres, excluding heavy metal and similar others), pop and some funk.
Favourites artists: Queen, Pink Floyd, Beatles, The Police, Phil Collins, Michael Jackson... I'm not a basshead. 
Since I've been listening all my life to mp3 and I will upgrade to a Fiio X3II or X5II, a Hi-Res headphone wouldn't be bad. But I'll begin with flac files ripped from original CDs first (the ones recommended on Steve Hoffman forum)
I must be a closed back, since I can't listen in quiet rooms. If possible 16-80 Ohm, so it can be easy to drive.
But what I'm really looking forward to is sound quality and soundstage (I know it's a closed back).
Right now I have Sony Mdr ZX300, so anything around the price wil be better. I'll be going to the UK on February, so still have some time to think, but I would appreciate some recommendations.
Thanks 

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 7
  I am looking for a $300 Closed Back Over Ear Headphone. I listen mostly rock (all of its subgeneres, excluding heavy metal and similar others), pop and some funk.
Favourites artists: Queen, Pink Floyd, Beatles, The Police, Phil Collins, Michael Jackson... I'm not a basshead. 
Since I've been listening all my life to mp3 and I will upgrade to a Fiio X3II or X5II, a Hi-Res headphone wouldn't be bad. But I'll begin with flac files ripped from original CDs first (the ones recommended on Steve Hoffman forum)
I must be a closed back, since I can't listen in quiet rooms. If possible 16-80 Ohm, so it can be easy to drive.
But what I'm really looking forward to is sound quality and soundstage (I know it's a closed back).
Right now I have Sony Mdr ZX300, so anything around the price wil be better. I'll be going to the UK on February, so still have some time to think, but I would appreciate some recommendations.
Thanks 

You might look into an ATH-M70x--it could work. So could a K553 Pro. If you can stretch your budget a bit, a PM-3 would be terrific. A few thoughts.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 7
I would also recommend the Oppo or Meze 99 Classics a bit out of budget but both very good.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 7
PM-3 indeed an amazing closed portable can.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 7
OK, It seems that the Oppo is the best option. Now what would you recommend: Fiio X3II+portable fiio amp or Fiio X5 II (I don't think the 3rd gen will available while I'm there)?
Thanks

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #6 of 7
  You might look into an ATH-M70x--it could work. So could a K553 Pro. If you can stretch your budget a bit, a PM-3 would be terrific. A few thoughts.

OK, It seems that the Oppo is the best option. Now what would you recommend: Fiio X3II+portable fiio amp or Fiio X5 II (I don't think the 3rd gen will available while I'm there)?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back