Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Dec 1, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #361 of 1,076
I just posted about my single headphones regret being the Grado SR60 purchase I made a few years ago. I also stated my view that headphones are a very personal device. I'm not sure we don't hear them differently and I know they feel different per person.

I own AKG, various Koss phones, Beyer, Sennheiser and even Sony phones. If I were to recommend a couple:

AKG501k - Very clear and nice high end. I feel I can honestly say I've "heard" an recording in its best light when I wear these while listening. One potential down side is they almost want to be heard louder. Since, I'm very careful about listening loudly for long periods, I am careful. If you get them, please also be careful.

Beyer DT990 - These were my best phones before I got the AKGs. But, I also still use them. They're great for low-level listening. One way to view them is as AKG501s with a loudness control. They are missing the final degree of clarity of the AKG's. Let's say, I like each for a different purpose.

Koss clip-ons. I have a few different variants but they all seem to have roughly the same sound and technology. They sound fantastic, especially considering they are inexpensive, almost free, compared to the first two. They are great for outdoors or travel.

My advice for buying phones is try to try them using the electronics you will be using before purchase. All things like hiss, impedance, efficiency seem to be more a product of matching than any single specification you can read on a spec sheet.

Good luck.

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #362 of 1,076
Hey guys how is it going, I have come here looking for some good in ear/canal phones for around a 100 dollars, I know of the sennheiser CX300's, but wouldn't mind some other options/opinions. I listen to 80's rock :p Queen being my favorite band currently to listen to, I also like Joe Satriani. I'm also using it with my Cowon A2 and noise reduction would be a benefit...
Thanks

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #363 of 1,076
I'm looking for good headphones (not in-ear) that have strong, powerful bass and nice high-end.
I usually listen to reggae, ska, rock, punk, acoustic, and indie
I use an ipod, and I need a pair that isn't too big and bulky, and I can wear all the time

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #366 of 1,076
Voting AKG K701, Sennheiser HD650, and anything Stax
lambda.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #367 of 1,076
I put up a new thread on here and got some good responses but I'm just looking for a little help before I finally spend my (parents') cash...

Basically: Shure E4G vs UE Super.Fi 5Pro vs Ety ER4P

I listen to a lot of dance music (especially drum 'n' bass) on my iPod and my laptop (w/ Creative Audigy 2 ZS soundcard) but also other genres of music such as indie and not-too-heavy rock.
I am looking for IEMs with good isolation as I don't want to be distracted/disturbed whilst studying in the library, on the train/bus (daily commute) and when flying (I fly long-haul quite regularly). Despite listening to a lot of dance music, I don't want to be overwhelmed by bass nor do I want it to totally dominate the mids and highs, but bass is obviously important.

I have picked out these three IEMs as they seem to be the best things around for the money. I am very tempted by the UEs unless someone thinks I should change my mind!
Thanks for your help guys

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #368 of 1,076
just broke my pair of Sennheiser hd202's, which many of you think suck like hell, but i found to be quite okay. alas this brought me to Head-fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

anyway, let's get down to the nitty-gritty!
i listen to primarily jazz, funk, hip-hop and soundtrack scores.

so for my needs, what headphones do you recommend under $80?
i've heard good things about the alessandros and grados... but i'm not sure what to buy...

[edit]
i like the look of the koss ur-40... it's not too thick à la princess leia and it has the pleasant sounds of the ksc75 driver. and i can pick it up for $35! before i settle on the ur-40, is there anything else i should consider?

would love to hear some opinions by audiophiles such as yourself!
thanks!

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #369 of 1,076
Im looking for an "around the ear" headphones that doesnt need an amp for my dad. Ive tried the Bose Quietcomfort 2 and like the way it fits around my ear and the comfortability. Thats the only thing i like...its overrated and overpriced and my Grado 125s sound better. However, ive always found the Grados uncomfortable after 1 hour of use because they put pressure on the ears rather than being around the ear which i prefer. Plus my dad prefers the around the ear type and more comfortable headphones. What can you guys recommend as the best headphones in the $100-$300 range that has the best sound (most of time classical mp3s,sometimes movies) which are also "around the ear",very comfortable, and doesnt require an amp. As far as portability, hopefully its no bigger than the Bose QC2 or my Grado 125s. I know there could be a few but if you could name me some that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #370 of 1,076
No Amp:
Sennheiser HD555's, HD595's.

Amp:
beyerDynamic DT770's, DT880's, DT990's.
AKG K601's, K701's.

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #371 of 1,076
I love my sony sa5000. It's a very Amazing headphone!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #372 of 1,076
Im looking for a durable headset...In the past year or two Ive bought headphones ranging from prices of $30 to $100 each with flaws I couldn't deal with, but mostly because somehow the cable got damaged and I would have to bend the wires in specific ways near the connection to my computer or portable device to get them to play sound on either the right or left side, this has happened even with an IEM I owned that was nylon coated around the wire.
frown.gif

Anyways the main problem was the sound dying because of damage to wires for the head sets Ive owned, Ive also owned a really big and expensive sony dj headphone that well hurt my neck after using it for 3+ hours..

Right now I have a big HDTV with my desktop connected to it with a set of computer speakers and these speakers also have an input for headphones So like a long wire(20ftish). So I wanted a set of headphones that could be connected there, but also be used for portable purposes(laptop, PSP, ipod). So I thought Wireless Bluetooth, then people here have said Bluetooth sucked at the moment...though I am assuming Bluetooth> RF Wireless overall

anyways Im willing to part with approximately $100 to $150 shipping inclusive...I might go for $200 but thats pushing it(I could get a DS)...and Im looking for something durable where Ive had the said problems stated earlier

For music I listen to J-pop and classical. Mainly this is for movie purposes though.

Anyways I do not want IEMs, ive owned a pair that fit reasonably...but I still didn't like it in my ear at all. And not headphones that go around the back of the head(I have a big head). I am still leaning towards a Bluetooth set but I wanted to hear opinions of audiophiles. and no amps please

Dec 30, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #373 of 1,076
I just picked up some JBL-410 headphones on sale at Target for around $55. I didn't realize they were rebadged AKG phones. There's a rumor that they are voiced to JBL's specs, which makes sense since JBL does a lot of consumer testing.

Either way, they are very, very good. I've got a good headphone collection. They produce a tight seal, rich, deep bass and terrific imaging. they sound nice with a wide range of music. They feature an on-cord volume control, which adds the very real advantage of allowing you to lower the volume and get better signal to noise from many portables. And, they're very efficient. I can't yet hear and example where I'd want to place a headphone amp inline.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #375 of 1,076
Hiya,

Its quite a tough one to call, it seems by your tastes / requirements than any / all of your recommendations are required...

Probably the best all in one IEM out of the three you have chosen is the ETY ER4P, but it might sound a bit lame in the bass department (if you've come from earphones such as the Sony MDR-EX70/71 especially!!)

Hopefully in your thread you have started they have given you +/- things for all the IEMs in your list, but if not, then my nod will go (very hesitantly) to the ER4P, the SF5P are great, but can be a bit ragged / in your face, and they also have the least effective seal of all three you have listed.

Hope it helps
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by ugotamesij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put up a new thread on here and got some good responses but I'm just looking for a little help before I finally spend my (parents') cash...

Basically: Shure E4G vs UE Super.Fi 5Pro vs Ety ER4P

I listen to a lot of dance music (especially drum 'n' bass) on my iPod and my laptop (w/ Creative Audigy 2 ZS soundcard) but also other genres of music such as indie and not-too-heavy rock.
I am looking for IEMs with good isolation as I don't want to be distracted/disturbed whilst studying in the library, on the train/bus (daily commute) and when flying (I fly long-haul quite regularly). Despite listening to a lot of dance music, I don't want to be overwhelmed by bass nor do I want it to totally dominate the mids and highs, but bass is obviously important.

I have picked out these three IEMs as they seem to be the best things around for the money. I am very tempted by the UEs unless someone thinks I should change my mind!
Thanks for your help guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back