Recommendations for Amp <$100 for SR225s
Jul 31, 2005 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Canuck57

500+ Head-Fier
I just purchased a pair of Grado SR-225s for my son and would like to get him an amplifier <$100. He listens to mostly bass-heavy rap and hip hop, so the more bass the better! He'll likely use it mostly in his room, so portability isn't an isuue.

Recommendations please!

Thanks

Aug 1, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57
I just purchased a pair of Grado SR-225s for my son and would like to get him an amplifier <$100. He listens to mostly bass-heavy rap and hip hop, so the more bass the better! He'll likely use it mostly in his room, so portability isn't an isuue.

Recommendations please!

Thanks

I know you didn't ask this, but if he likes a lot of bass, you may want to get flat type pads. Either the ones from Todd the Vinyl Junkie, or modified senn414 pads. I love flats on my 225s for bass impact. They also tame the fatigue from the high end.

I use my 225s with a PIMETA amp that I built myself. It probably cost me around $100. There are people around that will build one for you; I'm not sure what they charge. With the other grados I've tried, I prefer the BurrBrown OPA627 opamps, but with the 225s specifically, I prefer the Analog Devices AD8620.

Aug 1, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jar
I know you didn't ask this, but if he likes a lot of bass, you may want to get flat type pads. Either the ones from Todd the Vinyl Junkie, or modified senn414 pads. I love flats on my 225s for bass impact. They also tame the fatigue from the high end.

Definately. Flat pads imo are a must with rap music.

Aug 1, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 5
Take the SR225s back and get the DT 770s. This coming from someone who REALLY likes the SR225s!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back