Recommendation needed! CK10 or EQ-5?
Jul 25, 2011 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

POS

New Head-Fier
Dear all,

My long-suffering phonaks gave up the ghost today.  Ok, I sat on them.  Either way though, they need replacing.

I enjoyed my phonaks with the black filter most:  I felt the grey didn't give me enough bass, and the bass with the blacks had much better extension and detail.  I did miss the greater detail in the mid-range and treble, but not enough to swap back.

I would like to try a different earphone though, as I was always frustrated with the fit with my phonaks. 

I have been hearing great things about the CK10 and EQ-5, but am open to other suggestions.  My music taste is generally prog, metal, folk and classical (in descending order of listening).  I also need good isolation, because I work in a noisy lab and need to blur out the noise of a nitrogen generator!

So basically, I'm looking for an earphone with

- great clarity and tightness in the mids and highs
- fast bass, with great extension.  Plenty of it, but not too overpowering
- excellent isolation

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 12
I owned Ck10, DBA-02, Re262 and Ortofon eQ7 and e-Q5 among other few.
For clarity and transparency Id recommend eQ5 for 250$ or even Final Audio Heaven SB
e-Q5 isolation is better then Final Audios.
Ck10 is a great IEM with plenty of isolation and base but in my opinion DBA-02 is a much better deal taking into consideration this two have very similar sound sigs and DBA_ priced about 40% lower depending where you buying them..
tip: buying Japanese IEMs is expensive but Musica Acoustics prices are still lowest I have seen. Highly recommended

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
For clarity and transparency Id recommend eQ5 for 250$ or even Final Audio Heaven SB
Ck10 is a great IEM with plenty of isolation and base but in my opinion DBA-02 is a much better deal taking into consideration this two have very similar sound sigs and DBA_ priced about 40% lower depending where you buying them..
tip: buying Japanese IEMs is expensive but Musica Acoustics prices are still lowest I have seen. Highly recommended

If you have to pick between eQ-7 and eQ-5, what would you think is better for jazz and classical/

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:

I have friends in Japan, so can easily get Japanese IEMs cheapily (CK10 for $260).  I live in the UK though, and the DBA-02 is extremely hard to come by.

I've never heard of the Final Audio, so I'll check that out.

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:

I have friends in Japan, so can easily get Japanese IEMs cheapily (CK10 for $260).  I live in the UK though, and the DBA-02 is extremely hard to come by.

I've never heard of the Final Audio, so I'll check that out.

E-Q5 and eQ7 are both amusing for classical/jazz, but Id choose e-Q7 simply because when this came out they were my favorite for the genre and now with e-Q5 it is just a matter of cost and personal preferences.
DBA-02 are sold at same place you can get e-Q5 from Dmitri at Musicaacoustics
Prices DImitri offers is as low as in  Japan but Id recommend ordering from active dealer like MA, this way one can always use servicing for warranty reasons.

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Dear all,

My long-suffering phonaks gave up the ghost today.  Ok, I sat on them.  Either way though, they need replacing.

I enjoyed my phonaks with the black filter most:  I felt the grey didn't give me enough bass, and the bass with the blacks had much better extension and detail.  I did miss the greater detail in the mid-range and treble, but not enough to swap back.

I would like to try a different earphone though, as I was always frustrated with the fit with my phonaks. 

I have been hearing great things about the CK10 and EQ-5, but am open to other suggestions.  My music taste is generally prog, metal, folk and classical (in descending order of listening).  I also need good isolation, because I work in a noisy lab and need to blur out the noise of a nitrogen generator!

So basically, I'm looking for an earphone with

- great clarity and tightness in the mids and highs
- fast bass, with great extension.  Plenty of it, but not too overpowering
- excellent isolation

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Id take a look at the westone 2 as well.  I listen to a mix of  prog, metal, folk  and they handle it quite well.  Generally comfortable (I always have fit issues though which is why I'm looking to get them reshelled by fisher)and great isolation (yup thats why I bought them)with the comply p tips included.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 12
EX1000s I believe is the best choice.
eq-5s and the DBA-02s/CK10 are not a bad suggestions, but their bass quantity might not satisfy you. They probably will through, since you enjoyed the Phonaks. All these are good, but my favourites are the EX1000s and eq-5s.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the responses.  I decided on the CK10s.  I figured that even if I don't like the sound signature (the bass quantity does concern me), I can always sell them relatively easily.  They aren't easy to come by at all in the UK!

The Sonys looked great, but were considerably more expensive than the CK10s.

The W2 was originally what I considered when choosing the Phonaks, but I liked the sound of the Phonaks analytical signature, and they were a bit cheaer.  I think if the CK10s don't work for me, I'll switch to Westone.  

After continued reading on the EQ-5, I decided the bass response will more than likely not satisfy.  Despite the dirt cheap price in Japan...

Jul 28, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.  I decided on the CK10s.  I figured that even if I don't like the sound signature (the bass quantity does concern me), I can always sell them relatively easily.  They aren't easy to come by at all in the UK!

The W2 was originally what I considered when choosing the Phonaks, but I liked the sound of the Phonaks analytical signature, and they were a bit cheaer.  I think if the CK10s don't work for me, I'll switch to Westone.  

After continued reading on the EQ-5, I decided the bass response will more than likely not satisfy.  Despite the dirt cheap price in Japan...

this review talks about e-Q5 and Ck10

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/01/ortofon-e-q5-review/

Jul 28, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

Ehh, IMO, the CK10 has less bass than the e-Q5..

Jul 28, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Ehh, IMO, the CK10 has less bass than the e-Q5..

Really?!  Ah, well let's just wait and see.  If not, I can just get the EQ-5 as well and then sell whichever I least prefer.

I'm guessing (hoping) there are people in the UK who would love to buy an EQ-5 for £100 or a CK10 for £140.

Like I said, I really enjoy the sound signature of the Phonaks with the black filter so as long as the bass in comparable to them...

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Really?!  Ah, well let's just wait and see.  If not, I can just get the EQ-5 as well and then sell whichever I least prefer.

I'm guessing (hoping) there are people in the UK who would love to buy an EQ-5 for £100 or a CK10 for £140.

Like I said, I really enjoy the sound signature of the Phonaks with the black filter so as long as the bass in comparable to them...

Don't take my word for it, it could have been a bad seal. Also e-Q5 for 100 GBP would be almost half-price, which is bound to go away really quick.
Can't comment on the Phonaks since I definitely couldn't get a decent seal with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back