Recommendation for good all round headphones
Dec 31, 2016 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Aldaraia

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

Can you please recommend me some good on the ear or over the ear headphones that can be bought in EU.

My budget is about 100-120 EUR max. Might go a little bit higher if they are really a steal.

I listen to all kinds of music so they need to perform well on pop, progressive rock, metal, classical, ambient etc.

I am a fan of brighter clear sound, highs, mids, vocals are important to me. Definitely not a fan of darker sound.

Note-I have a big head and they definitely need to be large enough for comfortable fit, if foldable and with removable cable that would be perfect.

I had Sennheiser PX-100 II and didnt like them, sound was too dark, highs and mids not pronounced enough, they were big enough for me though.

I currently own AKG K451 and I like their sound better than PX-100 II, but they are a too tight fit for my head and my ears begin to hurt quickly.

They will be mainly used with my phone, mp3 player and laptop so they must be sensitive enough.

There are so many to choose from in that price category and I want to hear advice from experienced users if possible. I know I cant expect wonders for 120 EUR, but I want the most bang for my buck and a fit that doesnt hurt my ears.

Thank you :)

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Vocals and clarity are important to you? The msr7 is a better closed back option than the m50x for that, but they are bright sounding.... as is the m50x. I would recommend the akg k612 as an open back option since you seem to already have some experience with akg, they have great comfort

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 10
Not sure about pricing in the EU but you might also look into the AKG K550, which has a generous size to the clamp arc and, as noted above with the K612 Pro, may resemble your own AKGs somewhat. Another option is the Soundmagic HP 150--very slightly v-shaped and a real pleasure to listen to (not dark)..

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 10
  Not sure about pricing in the EU but you might also look into the AKG K550, which has a generous size to the clamp arc and, as noted above with the K612 Pro, may resemble your own AKGs somewhat. Another option is the Soundmagic HP 150--very slightly v-shaped and a real pleasure to listen to (not dark)..

AKG K550 cost about the same as Audio Technica M50X so the price range is acceptable, I will take them into consideration, thanks.

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 10
  Vocals and clarity are important to you? The msr7 is a better closed back option than the m50x for that, but they are bright sounding.... as is the m50x. I would recommend the akg k612 as an open back option since you seem to already have some experience with akg, they have great comfort

MSR7 cost significantly more (approximately 200 EUR on amazon.de) than my current budget so I doubt they will be an option, from what I read on the Internet AKG K612PRO require a lot of output power, I need my headphones to work with my phone too so that wont work but thanks for your suggestions. I might look into MSR7 if my budget goes up before I buy.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 10
Jan 4, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Koss KSC75. These are really a steal. They are only $12. They are the best bang for the buck headphones, even though I own hd598, hd650, dt770, and dt990. They are low profile on-ears similar to your PX-100. HOWEVER, they are bright instead of dark. The mids are forward, definitely not recessed. It also has a decent amount of bass. They have a little more bass and brighter than the hd598. If you don't like the clip-ons, you can easily convert it to a regular headphone by snapping on the parts-express headband ($7) to those drivers.

I started my opened headphones journey with HD598. I liked everything about it except sometimes I feel that there aren't enough bass for some songs. Then it lead me to dt990,dt770, and finally HD650. If I started out with the KSC75 then I probably would have been content and never spent that much money on those more expensive headphones. None of those headphones sound 10 to 30 times better than the KSC75 for how much they cost. It's only $12, it won't hurt to give them a try.

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 10
FYI, AT m50x has a slight v-shape sound signature according to Tyll. Which means they have recessed mids, so they may not be best for vocals.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/legend-continues-audio-technica-ath-m50x-measurements

Users who are viewing this thread

Back