Recommendation for a high-end DAP
Nov 11, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #31 of 46

The stock silver cable that comes with the 1Plus2 will crush that cable you have in terms of sound quality anyways. Just sell it off. 

Way to go Lee, make the member feel great about their recent $250 cable purchase.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #32 of 46
  But it was said here that the AK120 doesn't pair well with the TF10s  and I won't be able to afford both upgrades at once. Should I get the AK120 even if I stay with my current IEMs? 

You will experience significant SQ improvement jumping from TF10 to TG!334/1P2. (My previous upgrade was more like W4R/IE80 to Parterre/TG!334. ) I am recommending the TG334 as it is an all rounded iem with exceptional build quality. They are not mass produced and the universal nature will ensure you with good resell value.

As for your 250usd cable, you can request shops to help you to change the connectors and rewire to fitear configuration for a small fee (it is the same as HD600/650 connectors) so it would not go to waste.

If you still have spare money left, you can consider the "lowly" DX50 (LoL) but just dont expect fancy playlist flawless UI design but expect better SQ and highres support than your current J3. (I still own J3 and use it as a gym rig) assuming you use FLAC and mp3 primarily. I am not sure where you are geographically located, but if you have access to cheap X3 mod service, an X3 mod will have better sound quality (more warm sounding) than a stock DX50 in terms of detail retrieval and bass impact. Having said that, both of them can be upgraded using an external portable amp as they are equipped with true line out which AK products do not have unless undertake expensive mod.

This will give you an instant upgrade than using AK120 + TF10 for around the same cost. The current situation is that it is very hard to wholeheartedly recommend an audiophile DAP because there are always down side to each of the offerings (e.g. build quality, UI, battery life, outrageous greedy pricing).  Hence, it is best to invest in iem first as the market is more mature  (I certainly hope so since the price continues to go up....)

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #34 of 46
Just pick up one of the following: 1+2, SE846, IE800, TG334, Parterres, k3003 (whichever matches the sound you like most) and a decent player like the Clip+, Fiio X3, DX50. Pointless getting a high end DAP with the TF10s imo.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #35 of 46
I'm cross-eyed here reading suggestions of ultra pro high dollar makes such as the Ocharaku's and FitEar's @@ - I shudder at recommending these for a beginner and WHAT with the Clip player!
Dude, I tell you, keep your TF10 and buy X3 and after you get a taste of hi-fi, go for the giants.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #36 of 46
  I'm cross-eyed here reading suggestions of ultra pro high dollar makes such as the Ocharaku's and FitEar's @@ - I shudder at recommending these for a beginner and WHAT with the Clip player!
Dude, I tell you, keep your TF10 and buy X3 and after you get a taste of hi-fi, go for the giants.

There's nothing wrong with pairing any IEMS with the Clip. It's one of the best bargains in portable audio. It sounds great, it's cheap and convenient with decent battery life. I don't even think the X3 sounds noticeably better than the Clip+. It does have a much more powerful amp though.

If the OP is going to spend money, he would be much better off spending that money on new IEMS instead of a player.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #38 of 46
The 1Plus2 is on the neutral side with a very spacious and accurate, out of head sound staging. Basically putting the band in front of you on stage. It is quite efficient in all areas. Bass and treble being it's highlight areas. The 334 is a more colored IEM with an intimate sound staging. It's main focus is really on vocals and bass with treble roll off and treble spikes. The bass is on the slower side which for me made the IEM sound congested and bogged down. But if you are a vocal lover it is hard to beat in that regard.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #39 of 46
The 1Plus2 is on the neutral side with a very spacious and accurate, out of head sound staging. Basically putting the band in front of you on stage. It is quite efficient in all areas. Bass and treble being it's highlight areas. The 334 is a more colored IEM with an intimate sound staging. It's main focus is really on vocals and bass with treble roll off and treble spikes. The bass is on the slower side which for me made the IEM sound congested and bogged down. But if you are a vocal lover it is hard to beat in that regard.

Lee thanks!
How about parterre? R they more similar to 1p2?

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #40 of 46
Nov 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #41 of 46

Never heard the Parterre. From what I've read though supposedly it has more treble emphasis, less bass than the 334 and is overall a more balanced-sounding IEM. Bigger staging and less emphasis on its mids. I suggest you check out the thread though for more info on it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662182/fitear-parterre-appreciation-thread

Thanks! I agree with your assessment of the 334 as I own both the 334 and Parterre.. However, I have not heard the 1p2 before hence I am curious to know if Parterre and 1p2 are in fact similar...as the bass is a lot more faster on the parterre when comparing to 334...but the 334 wins the Parterre on the sweet and smooth mid/mid-bass like hot butter... I speculate that the sound staging would be bigger and more 3D on the 1p2 though... and that the treble would be more "accurate" than the fitear?

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #42 of 46
Can you compare the sound signature of the 1Plus2 or the tg334 to this off the TF10s. Of course I understand that the TF10s are not at the sane status as the other two but this is my only reference and I'm trying to get a sense on how the IEMs you've recommended feel like.

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #43 of 46
Can you compare the sound signature of the 1Plus2 or the tg334 to this off the TF10s. Of course I understand that the TF10s are not at the sane status as the other two but this is my only reference and I'm trying to get a sense on how the IEMs you've recommended feel like.

Thanks!

The TF10 is v-shaped in comparison to both the 1Plus2 and the 334. It's sound staging is much smaller than that of the 1Plus2, bass quality is not even close, nor is mids and treble. The TF10s treble is artificial sounding in comparison and lacks refinement. The sound isn't as smooth or integrated as that of the 1Plus2. The 1Plus2s bass reaches deeper, hits harder (more impact), is more controlled and of much higher quality.

Comparing the 334 and TF10 from memory (lol) they are quite the polar opposites. The 334s focal point is in its vocals personally. The TF10s focal point is in it's lack of vocals lol :wink:. It has more emphasis on treble and bass vs the midss. But even the 334 can make the TF10 sound bass light IMO. The 334 just has a lot of mid bass and with its slower decay it lingers making it that much more noticeable. Still the bass quality of the 334 will be better. Just not my cup of tea :p. The 334s presentation will also be smoother and better integrated. Basically it's really not fair to compare these IEMs because they really don't compare. I gather if you get any of the above and spend extensive time with either you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. It's hard to imagine something being that much better when you've never had the opportunity to try it for yourself. I've been in that boat before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back