Recommend the cheapest amp that's not awful for Mad Dog/Foxtex T50RP with Android phone
Aug 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a good setup at home (DAC/MisterX PPA/LCD2) but I'm looking for something cheap and not too nasty for work. Mains powered, very compact so I can lock it away if required, preferably in the $50 to max $100 price range. It will feed the Mad Dog modified T50RPs, which I'll only buy if I can find a suitable amp as I'm told they don't work that well from Android phones.

Any recommendations?

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 7
What are you using to drive headphones at work?

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I drive them to work in my Toyota
wink.gif

Samsung Galaxy S4. Obviously I'm not going for audiophile sound quality, I just want to make sure the headphones are driven well enough to sound pretty good.

Portable (battery powered) amplifiers
Fiio E11, $60
PAV2V, $65 (works as desktop and portable)
Fiio E12, $129

That brand new Galaxy S4 might support digital audio output (thru the micro USB port).
Which means you can hook an external DAC/amp to the S4.

Fiio E07K, $90
The Fiio E17 sometimes goes on sale for $105

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 7
Digital audio output - now that's an interesting idea. I'll have a bit of Google around to see if I can work that out. May save a little battery too, though the phone's pretty good with batteries.

Thanks for the suggestions :) I guess I should try it with my PPA first to see how necessary an amp is huh? I'm less fussy than many.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Digital audio output - now that's an interesting idea. I'll have a bit of Google around to see if I can work that out. May save a little battery too, though the phone's pretty good with batteries.

Thanks for the suggestions :) I guess I should try it with my PPA first to see how necessary an amp is huh? I'm less fussy than many.

There are a few threads on Head-Fi that are dedicated to the Maddog T50RP, good place to ask about what works well at amping the T50RPs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back