Recommend Speakers for my room?
Sep 14, 2014 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

indieman

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello! Recently I decided to get rid of my huge diy floor standing speakers in my room to clear up some space (they also didn't sound that great >.<)

Now I'm looking for some replacements, but there's so much out there it's mind boggling! I've decided to limit myself to something under $200 USD. I like a powerful bass, and am using a somewhat vintage harmon/kardan amp so I don't really need "powered/active" speakers. Any recommendations will be appreciated!

I am looking for something kinda like this...

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 15
IMO, you don't get powerful bass from bookshelf speakers. They are not designed for that. You may be disappointed coming from tower speakers if you have similar expectations.

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 15
If you want to maintain the bass response, look for a desktop monitor that can be supplemented with a subwoofer, though the integration might be challenging. My money would be on bookshelf speakers with 7" drivers, maybe something like M-Audio M3-8?

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 15
The reason that I like to recommend them is that they are better price/performance values than traditional brick and mortar speaker brands are at full MSRP. Traditional speaker companies have to build in the cost of their middleman and they tend to have to fund a lot of marketing. So generally you need to be getting traditional speaker company brand speakers at a very significant amount off MSRP to get the same kind of value as those two speakers offer.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 15
I'll recommend that you check audiogon and the clearance section on musicdirects website. Look for speakers from NHT, PSB, Epos, wharfedale. Definitive made some bookshelfs that went really low in the bass region a few years back. I would just limit my expectations at the $200 price mark.

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #11 of 15
Anyone tried or know about these monoprice speakers?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005E2YFVO?cache=90c642b1e7987fc7059167fdb2ccba95&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1411066019&sr=8-50#ref=mp_s_a_1_50

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 15
I have not but would call those garage speakers. The will play music and sound ok but not great. The tweeter can be bought from parts express for 99 cents. Here are my recommendations:

DefTech Studio Monitor 45: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-77794-definitive-technology-studio-monitor-45-pr.aspx
Review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/definitive-technology-studiomonitor-45-loudspeaker 

WHARFEDALE - DIAMOND 10.1: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-43054-wharfedale-diamond-101-black-demo.aspx
Review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-101-loudspeaker 

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
  Hello! Recently I decided to get rid of my huge diy floor standing speakers in my room to clear up some space (they also didn't sound that great >.<)
---
I am looking for something kinda like this...

Unless we're talking about really tall towers that can eat up ceiling space like Dyns' Contour series and up,* standmounts would still take as much space once you put them on stands. They're just easier to put away and put in proper spots for listening because you can easily grab them under the mounting plate and around the bottom of the speaker sides. I've seen a guy who puts his away next to the wall but has marked spots for where the front spikes on the stands will go when he's listening.

The only way those will actually save you real space is if you're using a desktop system, but that vintage receiver's going to be too large for something like that.

*Dynaudio Contour S5.4 (maple) vs standard height 2-way Mission speakers (black). The lowest drivers, the tweeters, are at ear level when seated.

Quote:

Now I'm looking for some replacements, but there's so much out there it's mind boggling! I've decided to limit myself to something under $200 USD. I like a powerful bass, and am using a somewhat vintage harmon/kardan amp so I don't really need "powered/active" speakers. Any recommendations will be appreciated!

You're not going to get that much bass out of standmounts - the enclosure and total surface area of the bass drivers are nowhere near what many would regard as "powerful." The most powerful standmounts/bookshelf monitors I've used for example are the Wharfedale Pacific Pi10 (passive, powered by a NAD304) and the Swans D1080 MkII 08 (active - 4ch amplifier in Master speaker), and while I can still hear and feel the bass (house, techno) in the bathroom across the hall (with the shower running), there are a few caveats. First, noise regulations are looser over here (I actually use them to fire back at my neighbors), so that's at levels that I wouldn't listen at for long if I'm in my normal listening listening position. Second, I use an EQ to reduce the bass on my HD600, while it's pretty normal around here to find a post that goes "I listen to EDM, HD600 lacks bass."

In any case that's why some standmounts have multiple 6in to 7in drivers, with a dedicated midrange driver, so the multiple drivers are used only for bass frequencies. 

And even those that use multiple large bass drivers have them tuned for delivering bass as close to 20hz as possible, but with a flat response.

Basically, standmounts will be a compromise in bass in favor of size. At best, you can get one with a strong upper bass/low midrange response, so you'd still get a strong attack on certain bass notes (like bass drums, certain ways of playing bass guitar). I can't make any specific recommendation but basically I'm saying "manage your expectations."

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 15
Yes that's what others have said (bookshelves not great with bass), so I'm getting a sub to handle that. Mostly looking for affordable bookshelves with good soundstage/separation. I listened to some entry level Martin Logans and those were perfect but still too expensive for me :frowning2: . That's why I was asking about monoprice

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #15 of 15
Yes that's what others have said (bookshelves not great with bass), so I'm getting a sub to handle that. Mostly looking for affordable bookshelves with good soundstage/separation. I listened to some entry level Martin Logans and those were perfect but still too expensive for me
frown.gif
. That's why I was asking about monoprice

If you really need low bass I wouldn't hold back on Monoprice. Just turn it down if they start overpowering the upper bass response of the standmounts. Oh, and get anything with 6in drivers if not larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back