recommend some new music!
Oct 24, 2008 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

thatwunguy

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I'm bored and I haven't started a thread in a while so now i have tow going at once.

This is my first time asking for music recommendations and hopefully it will work out for me.

So my favorite band is Coheed and Cambria for their completely original sound and ever-changing albums.

I like a lot of different music:
alternative rock such as Chiodos, Say anything..., Cartel, The Early November, Brand New, and Circa Survive

indie rock such as Bright Eyes, Death Cab for Cutie, The Format, Okkerville River, and Spoon

hip-hop such as Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Immortal Technique, and Sage Francis

and my over-generalized-opinion-of-what-is-electronic such as Hot Chip and MGMT

Also, I'm really into the band Sound Tribe Sector Nine, but they don't really fit into any of the above categories.

I realize there is a lot here and many of my classifications are off, but i'm curious as to what kind of recommendations I will get from you guys.

for example: "If you like ___________ check out ___________ because _________."

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 8
Weeeeellll...

I'm not that familiar with most artists you listed, but I do know Coheed and Cambria at least.. so, I suggest you give The Mars Volta a try. They are.. well, interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

You might also be interested in the 'Silent Shout' album by The Knife. Somewhat minimal electro with female vocals.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 8
thanks a lot RubberDuck, i will definitely check out the Mars Volta and the Knife.

Is there a specific Mars Volta album I should get?

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 8
For the alternative scene have you heard The Barenaked Ladies. A Canadian band with a good mix of humour and complexity in their music and also one of the best on stage gigs I can remember being at. Suggest the Stunt album to start but anything other than Snacktime (an album aimed at children and so a bit childish) will be a decent introduction.

Andy

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 8
Along the lines of Brother Ali...
The Mighty Underdogs - Droppin' Science Fiction (also, Nia & Blazing Arrow from Blackalicious if you haven't heard those)
Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens (also Johnson & Jonson's self-titled album)
Dela - Changes of Atmosphere
Panacea - The Scenic Route
Cunninlynguists - A Piece of Strange

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 8
Metacritic is a great source for finding out about new music:

Music Reviews, CD Reviews - Metacritic.com

Some of your tastes in indie are similar to mine (MGMT, Okkervil River, Spoon), so I would recommend checking out the following:

Bon Iver
Fleet Foxes
The Evangelicals
Deerhunter (the band, not the movie)
Plants and Animals
Weather

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 8
thanks for the recommendations. I am quite intrigued especially by strength in numbers and plants and animals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back