Recommend some beginner classical
Aug 20, 2006 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bubsdaddy

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to get into classical. I have been listening to the local NPR station which plays classical during the mid-day and evening hours. I like the fullness of the cello and I hate some of the violin screechiness (listening through stock car speakers). I don't think I'll like opera. What are some good accessible classical CD's I can start with?

Aug 20, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 8
First, let me say that I'm still a begginer when it comes to classical too. But it's not too hard for me to recommend some of my favorites.

I like Mussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition", and Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik", and Beethoven's 5th and 6th symphonies for starters.

These are pieces that you will probably have heard before. These are also good starter pieces because they are rewarding on many levels. As your ear becomes more sophisticated you will be able to appreciate them more and more, but right off the bat you'll appreciate them simply because they are beautiful music.

And remember, you can get lots of classical SACD's at yourmusic.com for $5.99 delivered to your door. Just do a search of SACD in "Album Title". Yourmusic.com is really a good way to get started in both classical and jazz because you can afford to experiment at $5.99 delivered, especially for SACD's.

Aug 20, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 8
There have been several threads on this topic, but what the heck...

Here is some great music, wonderfully played, tuneful, powerful, exciting that I think are god choices for beginners. All are on budget labels.

1) Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade. Batiz conducting on Naxos.
2) Respighi: Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome, Roman Festivals. Batiz on Naxos.
3) Bizet: Carmen & l'Arlesiene Suites. Ormandy on RCA.
4) Beethoven: Symphonies 5 & 7. Reiner on RCA.
5) Efrem Kurtz Artist Profile on EMI (is this still in print?). This is one of best compilations of Russian orchestral music ever made.Has superb versions of the first symphonies of Prokofieff and Shostakovich, music by Kabalevsky, Khachaturian, Liadov, and Rimsky-Korsakov, too.

I believe one of the quickest ways to turn new listeners off of classical music is with long, dull, boring music that really takes a trained or experienced ear to appreciate. I like lots of orchestral color and huge ranges of sound, which the music above delivers quite effectively. I avoid encouraging beginners to try Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Brahms and others. Good luck!

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Aug 20, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 8
I think that Britten's Simple Symphony is a good place to start. It was written as a piece for school orchestras, but don't let that put you off. The Simple Symphony is accessible and beautiful. You will like it, and it should motivate you to look more deeply into the genre.

Aug 20, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back