Recommend new headphones to an old head-fier ;)
Jun 13, 2020 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Taurui

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I've been into headphones for ... 15 years or so and was really active on these forums back then.
For some reason, I drifted into speakers and then got out of touch with headphones as a device to get high definition sound to my ears.
But I've grown dissatisfied with my current headphones, and my main speaker setup is mostly being used for Movies anyway, sooooo...
Time to upgrade, after such a long time! :)

Current Equipment:
Violectric V800 DAC, Meier Porta Corda Mk2 headphone amp, Beyerdynamic DT531 *groovalizers* :)
For outdoors, I use HD25-1 II with the custom cans cable and modding kit
I used to have the AKG K701 but found them too uncomfortable for long periods of time ... and I liked my DT531 as well, although they are really not as detailed...

What I have heard over the years:
Several Grado headphones, which I really liked from a sound signature point of view, but always found them too uncomfortable for longer periods of time.
I also know the HD600 and HD650 and... while they are really good... just don't suit my listening preferences, even when properly amped.

Music: Lots of progressive metal and rock, but also classic, jazz, folk..... listening and appreciating music never stopped for me! :)

What I want: An open (!) comfortable (!) headphone with better audio quality than my DT531 which ideally don't need further amping than I have. Instrument seperation is extremely important, the bass must be very well defined and should reach very low if possible. Soundstage is not as important for me. Distorted guitars must .. rock :wink:
Budget: Up to 500€, but less is also welcome!

My own list of candidates ... really not researched well, though:

- A Grado/Alessandro (f.e. Music Series Two) headphone with more comfy ear pieces?
- Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro
- Used Audioquest Nightowl/Nighthawk (never heard them but heavily recommended on another forum...)
- Hifiman Sundara

... and that's it.
I would really love to hear your opinions and recommendations, I am really excited to get back into the game :)

Thanks!
-taurui

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 3
I listen to a lot of prog. I have the Beyer Amirons, 1770s and 177x. I think they're all excellent. I listened to my k701 and q701s for years before upgrading about 2 years ago.

Hi everyone,
I've been into headphones for ... 15 years or so and was really active on these forums back then.
For some reason, I drifted into speakers and then got out of touch with headphones as a device to get high definition sound to my ears.
But I've grown dissatisfied with my current headphones, and my main speaker setup is mostly being used for Movies anyway, sooooo...
Time to upgrade, after such a long time! :)

Current Equipment:
Violectric V800 DAC, Meier Porta Corda Mk2 headphone amp, Beyerdynamic DT531 *groovalizers* :)
For outdoors, I use HD25-1 II with the custom cans cable and modding kit
I used to have the AKG K701 but found them too uncomfortable for long periods of time ... and I liked my DT531 as well, although they are really not as detailed...

What I have heard over the years:
Several Grado headphones, which I really liked from a sound signature point of view, but always found them too uncomfortable for longer periods of time.
I also know the HD600 and HD650 and... while they are really good... just don't suit my listening preferences, even when properly amped.

Music: Lots of progressive metal and rock, but also classic, jazz, folk..... listening and appreciating music never stopped for me! :)

What I want: An open (!) comfortable (!) headphone with better audio quality than my DT531 which ideally don't need further amping than I have. Instrument seperation is extremely important, the bass must be very well defined and should reach very low if possible. Soundstage is not as important for me. Distorted guitars must .. rock :wink:
Budget: Up to 500€, but less is also welcome!

My own list of candidates ... really not researched well, though:

- A Grado/Alessandro (f.e. Music Series Two) headphone with more comfy ear pieces?
- Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro
- Used Audioquest Nightowl/Nighthawk (never heard them but heavily recommended on another forum...)
- Hifiman Sundara

... and that's it.
I would really love to hear your opinions and recommendations, I am really excited to get back into the game :)

Thanks!
-taurui

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for the response - thanks to you, I looked into the very good comparison between the Amiron and the DT1990 on this board.
I think, based on my preferences, I would probably prefer the 1990 :)
But maybe I can find a place nearby where I can listen to both...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back