Recommend me the best portable set up
Apr 10, 2014 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

IaHawkeye

100+ Head-Fier
Filed for divorce today, had a bipolar cheating wife who was mentally and physically abusive and now I don't have to pinch pennies anymore to support her drug and alcohol addictions....which means I can support my audio addiction!

Please give me some recommendations as to the best portable set ups I can possibly get! I'm all ears, it's time to celebrate!

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 16
Sorry to hear you had to put up with such abuse Hawk.  I hope she gets none of your assets and she learns of her mistake.

Headphones wise, I would look into Hidition NT-6/pro, JHA13 FP, or the UERM.  I think as long as you have one of those you are set, and look for a good source.  I've heard the AK120 and 240 and they sound fantastic with UERM.  Maybe the new X5 or DX90 could be a great source for much less money.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 16
Sorry to hear you had to put up with such abuse Hawk.  I hope she gets none of your assets and she learns of her mistake.

Headphones wise, I would look into Hidition NT-6/pro, JHA13 FP, or the UERM.  I think as long as you have one of those you are set, and look for a good source.  I've heard the AK120 and 240 and they sound fantastic with UERM.  Maybe the new X5 or DX90 could be a great source for much less money.
Thank you so much for that, yeah my family told me to get out over and over, but I did't listen because I was in love, could only be a doormat for so long though.

I hope not either, but the courts will decide that.

I already have JH Roxanne's and a DX90 that should have shipped today. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Was considering taking a look at Noble K10's, but not sure if they would be redundant having totl Roxanne's already. Was also considering a picco slim, but not sure if it will synergize well with DX90 or not

Was also looking at AK240 but idk, I hear lots of good things about the Ibasso I ordered

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 16
You're not far from Alclair being in Iowa. Give Marc, from Alclair, a call next week. Maybe he'll arrange a discount if you make the trip. They have their entire lineup as universals for you to try.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 16
You're not far from Alclair being in Iowa. Give Marc, from Alclair, a call next week. Maybe he'll arrange a discount if you make the trip. They have their entire lineup as universals for you to try.

You know what, I map quested it and they are 4 hours from me, not to bad at all

That is a excellent suggestion I think I might give them a call and check them out! Do these headphones generally get high praise? It's the first I've ever heard of it!

I'm going see if I can stop in next weekend and demo some, and maybe they can get a perfect ear mold there in person, unfortunately getting a good one is something I've had problems with in the past =\

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 16
Splurge on yourself - (I know this sounds foo-foo) but it is a great idea to pamper yourself after going through an emotional turbulence - spend what you have to spend - take care of yourself. Look out for number one for a change.

(Then after a few weeks, go volunteer at a food bank)

Changes like this can be hugely stressful - don't know how old you are, but keep an eye on blood pressure - don't get too hungry or too tired - watch a Marx Brothers (Or Farrelly Bros) movie.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 16
If I were to splurge, I would get the NT-6.  I guess I am splurging because I'm getting the NT-6  
biggrin.gif

But, also I would get the AK240 If I were to just get what I want without thinking about the price, which is quite expensive for such a little guy.  It's lots of monies.

I can't say much about Roxanne as I never heard it, maybe it is the best.  UERM proves that it's not the number of drivers that makes great CIEMs as it only has 3 drivers and it sound phenomenal 

I think with the AK I will be very happy, that all depends if it sounds well with NT-6, but my guess is it works well with BA iems.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 16
You know what, I map quested it and they are 4 hours from me, not to bad at all

That is a excellent suggestion I think I might give them a call and check them out! Do these headphones generally get high praise? It's the first I've ever heard of it!

I'm going see if I can stop in next weekend and demo some, and maybe they can get a perfect ear mold there in person, unfortunately getting a good one is something I've had problems with in the past =\

I really like the RSM. It's my favorite CIEM I have heard. Alclair's Reference monitor received nice praise from a few folks on this forum. I think it made TheHeadphoneList.com's recommended monitor for its price bracket.

Link added:
http://theheadphonelist.com/custom-in-ear-monitor-buyers-guide/

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 16
Splurge on yourself - (I know this sounds foo-foo) but it is a great idea to pamper yourself after going through an emotional turbulence - spend what you have to spend - take care of yourself. Look out for number one for a change.

(Then after a few weeks, go volunteer at a food bank)

Changes like this can be hugely stressful - don't know how old you are, but keep an eye on blood pressure - don't get too hungry or too tired - watch a Marx Brothers (Or Farrelly Bros) movie.
I'm 29, and while our marriage only lasted a year, I did and still do love her, despite everything. It's soooo tough. Yeah that's what I'm doing right now, trying to find something to splurge on. Last night I bought a keg for my friends and I, and will be building a TOTL computer for myself on Monday....I haven't gamed in awhile, so I figured that will soothe my mind a little.

We will undoublty he going to court over our joint account, but that's a worry for another day =\

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 16
Filed for divorce today, had a bipolar cheating wife who was mentally and physically abusive and now I don't have to pinch pennies anymore to support her drug and alcohol addictions....which means I can support my audio addiction!

Please give me some recommendations as to the best portable set ups I can possibly get! I'm all ears, it's time to celebrate!

Sorry to hear that Hawk, I can feel your pain, previously I got divorced at the age of 27... as a fellow divorcee, please refer the following link: http://www.yourtango.com/experts/cindy-holbrook/5-stages-grief-during-divorce it will get you mentally prepared in advance, knowing the grief stages after the divorce.

As for audio related matter, if you can afford the AK240 by all means go ahead, I guess it is the pinnacle of DAPs at the moment.... however, please also consider the Sony NW-ZX1 as well, it most probably does not sound as good as the AK240, but, on the basis that for portable reason I found it much more convenient/user friendly in terms of user interface (running Android, and it is so easy to go through the music library)... having said that the storage capacity is only 128gb... nevertheless, the good news is that, you can save a lot of money to buy other hi-end audio gears :) 

All the best!!!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back