Recommend Me Some Fantasy
Jul 29, 2003 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

penvzila

500+ Head-Fier
I am an avid reader, but for some reason I have never read any fantasy novels outside of JRR Tolkien and Fritz Leiber, and some of the Dragonlance books. So what are some authors who write fantasy similar to the worlds of Lankhmar and Middle Earth?

Jul 29, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 45
STEPHEN KING'S DARK TOWER SERIES.

Well, not "classical" fantasy, but written with the "spirit" of a fantasy epic in mind. (LOTR inspired him, etc.)

HIGHLY recommended.

- Chris

Jul 29, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 45
Ok, so it's you two chicks, a hottub, some candles, some funk, and some hot oils....
-Mag

Jul 29, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 45
Willing to read a graphic volume series? Then you'll probably love Miyazaki's Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind (Currently available in 4 volumes called the "perfect collection" by Viz). Many compare it to Tolkien's masterpiece. It's worth reading anyway as one of the best manga ever created.

Jul 29, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 45
check out R.A. Salvatore. can only reco his old stuff, cuz that's all i've read. You should start with the Icewind Dale trilogy. He also wrote the star wars episode 2 novel. nope, didn't read it.

check out the playboy channel.

Jul 29, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 45
edit: These may be more science fiction/fantasy, but here goes:

Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, Lucifer's Hammer
Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, The Mote in God's Eye
Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, Footfall
Larry Niven, Ringworld

I'd read these books again in a heartbeat.

Jul 29, 2003 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 45
I was big into Piers Anthony when I was little, and once you move out of the Xanth series, you get some more adult fiction that's pretty good. The Xanth novels I loved, but I don't know how I would enjoy them today, grown too cynical for puns now I guess.

I have, at various times, read most of the several thousand page epic of Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time series. It's superbly written, if a little boring and overdescriptive late in the series. I recommend you read at least the first one.

Raymond Feist has some pretty good stuff, and one was made into IMO one of the best singleplayer RPGs of all time(freely downloadable if you have a DOS-based system and have himem installed), Betrayel at Krondor.

That's about all I can remember that was pure fantasy, no sci-fi elements.

Jul 29, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 45
George RR Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire series.

Starts out with game of thrones.

Best. Fantasy. Ever.

It almost ruins other fantasy. I can't describe how good it is.

Jul 29, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 45
I used to like Roger Zelazny -- Lords of...Light? And the original Amber series, of course. Not necessarily Tolkein, but great fun.

Jul 29, 2003 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 45
Second Piers Anthony.

The Incarnations of Immortality (Death, Time, Fate, War, Nature, Satan, and God) series is great!

On a Pale Horse
Bearing an Hourglass
With a Tangled Skein
Wielding a Red Sword
Being a Green Mother
For Love of Evil
And Eternity

Jul 29, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 45
If you want epic fantasy, I highly recommend Stephen R. Donaldson's "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever". Absolutely awesome. There are two trilogies. The first book in the first trilogy is "Lord Foul's Bane". Don't be put off by the title...they are very well written books. SRD also has a good collection of short stories, "Daughter of Regals".

Another trilogy I would recommend is Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionovar Tapestry. I believe the first book is titled "The Summer Tree". The Fionavar Tapestry brings in elements from several mythologies. He also has a stand alone fantasy titled "Tigana", which I would rank first of all the recommendations I'm making here. Tigana is simply beautiful. I loaned it to one fellow at the office, & he felt it was one of the best books he ever read.

Greg Bear's "Songs of Earth & Power". Very original...very good.

Larry Niven is good for hard core science fiction, & he also has some fantasy.

Roger Zelazny, recommended above, is one of my all-time favorite authors. He is the master of the short story. In some of his books he brings in a bit of Hindu mythology...Lord of Light...Creatures of Light and Darkness...Jack of Shadows....& of course the enjoyble Amber series. Several short story collections. All good.

I really could just go on and on...
smily_headphones1.gif
but...oh why not!

Louise Coopers Time Master Trilogy...Book 1 is "The Initiate". These are out of print, so you will have to browse the used book stores, but worth the search. The battle between Chaos & Order.

Barbara Hambly...The Darwath Trilogy...starts with "Time of the Dark". Very original. You can see her develop with each book.

Oh my goodness!!!! How could I forget...Kathryn Kurtz' Deryni Series. There are now 4 trilogies plus the most recent volume. I have been reading these for years. A bit beyond the middle ages epoch, perhaps, magic, sort of a scottish type of environment. Very, very good.

I really should stop now...please don't encourage me
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
STEPHEN KING'S DARK TOWER SERIES.

Well, not "classical" fantasy, but written with the "spirit" of a fantasy epic in mind. (LOTR inspired him, etc.)

HIGHLY recommended.

- Chris

That's the four book one? Yeah ive read those, i think. They have the Gunslinger and stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back