Recommend me some AC/DC
Feb 25, 2004 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Trawlerman

A British ingredient in our rockin' international gumbo.
I'm interested in listening to some AC/DC.

I've got FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK on vinyl and have just got the remastered CD of HIGH VOLTAGE today. I'm listening to HV now and love it.

So where to next? Who else do you recommend that I listen to in this genre?

Feb 25, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 33
All the ones with Bon Scott are good. I don't really rate them as much after he died and Brian Johnson took over singing duties. They are still a really competent band but before they were a great rock band (and funny too).

Pat

Feb 25, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 33
'Back in Black' is certainly the best (IMO) post-Bon Scott AC/DC release. Singer Brian Johnson's debut and AC/DC's best selling release. Bon Scott's AC/DC is tougher to choose from, a couple good tracks on them all. Two very different voices, Scott & Johnson.

I bought the remastered 'BnB' out of sentimental obligation. And 'Flick of the Switch' which is not good, but again sentimental about the cool riff running through out the opening track. I loved it at the time.

This is a band in need of a markl approved compilation.

Feb 25, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 33
The 2003 remasters are all uniformly EXCELLENT!!! Some of the best re-masters out there of anything, IMO. You will know the 2003 editions as they are in the CD digipack (paper covers). As music, there are so many essential AC/DC albums, it's going to cost you. Personally, I prefer the Bon Scott years to the Brian Johnson years, although it's impossible to deny Back In Black.

My personal favs (in order):

1. Back in Black
2. Powerage
3. Let There Be Rock
4. Highway to Hell
5. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
6. High Voltage
7. Razor's Edge (kick-ass production values, this thing sounds HUGE, but Brian's voice is shot by this point)
8. For Those About to Rock

These are generally considred their "classics", the rest are less well loved. Buying one will lead you to buy the rest on this list. beware!!!
eek.gif

Feb 25, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 33
Razors Edge rules!!!!!! One of the greatest rock albums ever. I admit not the greatest recording ever, but still kicks big ass. Followed close by Back in Black, and Dirty Deeds.

Feb 25, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 33
tomhankins,
You have to check out the 2003 remaster of Razor's Edge, it's INSANE!
eek.gif
Recording quality is outstanding for a rock record to me. It has a real "stadium rock" sound, maybe love-it-or-hate-it stuff, but for what it is, I LOVE it! Cheers.

Mark

Feb 25, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 33
You just made my Xmas list friend!! I'm on it as of right now. Thanks.

Feb 25, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 33
Mick:

For those about to rock is not one of the best. High voltage is a good one though.

The best ACDC albums worth having ( I got them all) not in order of priority.

Dirty Deed Done Dirt Cheap
Let There Be Rock
Highway to Hell
Back In Black

That is all you need have. If you become a great fan you can move on and buy the others too.

Feb 25, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 33
It sounds like pretty much all of the AC/DC albums are qorth having then with a particular reference to the Bon Scott years.

Good, coz my local HMV are having a blowout on the 2003 remasters. They are £4.99 a pop
biggrin.gif

I'll be going down to my ship on Friday morning with the lads for some maintenance work so i'll probably pop in the record store on my way home and pick up what I can.

You know it's funny. I'd never previously considered AC/DC but I recently watched School Of Rock with Jack Black and the track IT's A LONG WAY TO THE TOP (IF YOU WANNA ROCK N ROLL) was on the sountrack and ever since then it's been in my head and has lead to me wanting to hear more.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #13 of 33
I don't understand why more people didn't mention Let There Be Rock.
confused.gif
This is considered to be one of AC/DC's archetypal albums, containing one of their fastest, hardest-hitting songs, "Whole Lotta Rosie", which hammers along at an incredible pace throughout.

It would be a travesty if you didn't buy this album, Mick!

D.

p.s. If you're interested in hearing what AC/DC sounds like live, then pick up If You Want Blood (avoid AC/DC Live - it's only mediocre). I saw them live three times (in 1980 on the "Back In Black" tour and twice in 1991 on the "Razor's Edge" tour) and have never seen another artist approach the power and sheer electricity of one of AC/DC's performances. (Well, Judas Priest came close, but that was mostly due to ear-splitting volume
tongue.gif
)

Feb 26, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #14 of 33
The two absolute must have albums and the pinnacle of AC/DC's
simple power chord pub rocker style:

BACK IN BLACK 1980
HIGHWAY TO HELL 1979

These rockers represent a finely honed music machine hitting on all cylinders, memorable riffs everywhere with lots of head banging energy, nothing after these is in the same class and the band becomes repeitive and lacking any fresh ideas.

However all studio albums leading up to these were very good to excellent and should be purchased also, especially with new remasters.

DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP 1975
HIGH VOLTAGE 1976
LET THERE BE ROCK 1977
POWERAGE 1978

Feb 26, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

So where to next? Who else do you recommend that I listen to in this genre?

So many albums........so little time, he he. Try some of these gems which have a similar style and tons of power chords & memorable riffs:

KISS - Double Platinum (collection)
JUDAS PRIEST - Stained Class (or Metal Works 1973-93 collection)
TWISTED SISTER - Can't Stop Rock & Roll
MOTLEY CRUE - Shout at the Devil
IRON MAIDEN - Number of the Beast (or Best of the Beast collection)
VAN HALEN - Van Halen I
DEF LEPPARD - Pyromania
BOSTON - Boston I
WASP - Wasp I
JOAN JETT - I Love Rock & Roll
NY DOLLS - Rock & Roll (colection)

ETC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back