Recommend me better headphones than my DT990s.
Nov 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Adversity

New Head-Fier
I ordered my DT990 (600 ohm) off Amazon rather impulsively while trying to decide between other headphones. I would appreciate some other recommendations that are better than the 990's. Amplification is not a problem, I am using a Xonar Essence to power the 990's. Very few people may claim it doesn't power them well enough, but I think powers them just fine. I'm not upgrading to another amplifier. The problem is; I'm not sure if I bought the best headphones I could for my tastes and budget.

These will be used mainly for music, and netflix shows/movies, and some gaming(it wouldn't harm to have better headphones for gaming sound than the AD700). 

Music tastes-
  1. Indie rock- Main
  2. Pop- very small amount
  3. Hip Hop- small amount

My budget is $250.

I would strongly appreciate any recommendations. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 61
what is it about the dt990 that you do not like, so as to help us out in deciding what to advise you? :)

i guess good bass extension and a hefty low end would be good for your musical preferences but it seems the dt990 isn't catering to your needs... actually i am surprised...

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 61
It can, and it's not some simple sound card, it is of high value for $220. Look it up in the head-fi computer audio section. I didn't say the 990's dissatisfied me, I was just wondering If I could get better.

Are the Dt880's better for me? I see them being regarded as better value because of their overall flat sound signiature...

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 61
No no current soundcard has enough power to properly drive a 600Ohm headphone. They need a very high voltage swing to be fully utilized. 

I personally have a ASUS Xonar Essence STX card anddespite the claims that it can power my DT880's and DT990'S I find it to not nearly have enough power for them. 

Quote:
A simple soundcard can't power 600 ohm headphones can it? (unless you have a different version. . . ) 

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 61
Dude... No offense, but you have a T1 and thousands of dollars of equipment, of course it will seem like that to you. There are many others who agree that the xonar can power sufficiently... I know there is a difference between more expensive amps but I guarantee it is not that big.

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 61
i prefer the dt880 over the dt990 actually, due to the tonal balance as previously described by Zombie_X. for rock and metal, the dt990 is my can of choice because of the enjoyability factor, otherwise i am dt880 all the way :)

if you prefer less highs and better emphasized mids the dt880 might work for you. the soundstage and comfort would approximate your current dt990. but i suggest you use a desktop amp. my xonar d2 can power the beyers well, but a good desktop amp will make them sing better. i use the audio-gd c-2c for both of my beyers: better detail, soundstage, and more bass slam than off the soundcard. of course i do not have an essence (separate amp) and i have no experience with them, but you might wanna try out a proper amp with your beyers :)

Quote:
AIt can, and it's not some simple sound card, it is of high value for $220. Look it up in the head-fi computer audio section. I didn't say the 990's dissatisfied me, I was just wondering If I could get better. Are the Dt880's better for me? I see them being regarded as better value because of their overall flat sound signiature...

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 61
^ Good idea, I will try that. But, is the sibilance(hiss) noise normal? It's in many tracks, even lossless ones.

I guess I'm just trying to find better headphones for mainly indie rock, and basically all around good headphones.

As any audiophile, I'm trying to get the best for my money.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 61
Sennheisers? :p

My HD 650s don't have any sibilance. If you listen to A LOT of rock tho, they might be too laid back for you. 

Get an amp tho. seriously, these aren't that great without one either IMO.  

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #13 of 61
dude, give Zombie_X a break.
why?  because he was giving you good advice.

i own the DT990.
and, when powered by a 5 watt OTL tube amp, the difference between the DT990 and T1 is minimal.
when powered by a computer sound card, or any sub-par amp, the DT990 sounds quite average... at best.

please.  trust us on this one, Adversity. 

or, you can just waste your money buying another set of hard-to-drive headphones, and then act indignant when someone tells you to amp them properly......

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #14 of 61
Ok, ok, I'll upgrade to an amp later on, not now though, I just spent $150 for the Essence ST... 

Well I guess I listen to varied types of music but mainly indie rock... Also, it's not like punk/metal if you don't know what I'm talking about..

I could spend a little more for headphones if it makes THAT much of a difference. I heard the Beyers were way better than the Sennheiser's 6xx's, which is partly why I bought them.

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #15 of 61
I didn't mean to sound harsh. =( I just wanted people to be aware that when you're used to three figure audio equipment the difference would be huge for amps, while I might not notice it. But how do you truly know when your headphones are properly amped. On my essence, I listen to my headphones at 32% volume, any louder and they are too loud for me. Doesn't that mean they are being powered fine? If not, please explain.

Again, I did not mean to sound like a *****...

Quote:
dude, give Zombie_X a break.
why?  because he was giving you good advice.

i own the DT990.
and, when powered by a 5 watt OTL tube amp, the difference between the DT990 and T1 is minimal.
when powered by a computer sound card, or any sub-par amp, the DT990 sounds quite average... at best.

please.  trust us on this one, Adversity. 

or, you can just waste your money buying another set of hard-to-drive headphones, and then act indignant when someone tells you to amp them properly......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back