Recommend me an amp please
Jan 13, 2011 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

charbs152

New Head-Fier
I just bought some sennheiser hd 203's, i am new to the world of headphones and headphone amps however i do have an extensive background in home audio.  this will be for use with my iPod classic 120gb all music is ALAC and i will be using a line out direct cable.  i listen to blues, classic rock, psychedelic rock and jam bands mostly.   thanks!

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Being able to use a LOD  does get you a much cleaner signal from the iPod.  But to get that cleaner signal, you then need an amp, regardless of how easy the 'phones are to drive.  I think that's where the OP is coming from.

But right... which one to get?  Did you peruse this extensive posting http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-last-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b ?

In my case, I've been using a Headroom Bithead -- and I believe the AirHead is the same amp without the USB DAC.  I haven't done any comparison, but this has been reliable, it's got selectable crossfeed, and high and low gain settings.  Versatile.

Best of luck!

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Yes, LOD = cleaner signal. But will this difference be audible in the HD203? 

I'm not familiar with the HD203.  I made this shift to LOD + amp with my M50s and it's definitely beneficial in that case -- compared to using them straight out of the iPod or using them just with iPod + amp.  Of course this may depend on what amp is used as well.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 7
flatmap: Agreed that effectiveness varies between amps. However, there can be headphones which are efficient enough so as not to reap much benefit from a dedicated amp. My IE8 do not appear to benefit much from many amps that I have tried in the sub-$300 range (have not tried more expensive amps).

OP: you may not need to buy an amp. And since the HD 203 retail for $35-50, I don't see many amps you can buy anyway, unless you are willing to spend more on an amp than your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back