Recommend me an amp/dac for MacBook + dt 880 or hd 598 etc
Sep 18, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #16 of 28

I like Beyer headphones and own 7 of them.
But you might consider checking out Audio Technica headphones,
They offers models that are only 40-Ohms, so easier to drive then the Beyer's your looking at.
So getting an external headphone amplifier is more optional.
Maybe the ATH-AD900X? ($145 at Amazon).

If you're going to recommend something to him like the AD900x, I'd say something like teh Sennheiser HD558 or HD598, in the same general price-range, would be a better choice.  About as easy to drive, but arguably far better sounding, in my opinion.  Significantly less distortion and ringing in the measurements, for one thing.

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #17 of 28

If you're going to recommend something to him like the AD900x, I'd say something like teh Sennheiser HD558 or HD598, in the same general price-range, would be a better choice.  About as easy to drive, but arguably far better sounding, in my opinion.  Significantly less distortion and ringing in the measurements, for one thing.

I do like my HD558s, but I believe my Audio Technica headphones to be more musical, more "life" to the sound.

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #18 of 28

I do like my HD558s, but I believe my Audio Technica headphones to be more musical, more "life" to the sound.

Interesting.

How about the AKG K7xx ????  They should be obtainable in the OP's price-range if he searches around on massdrop and ebay and the like, and by all accounts are truly superb.  They measure even better than EITHER the AD900x or the HD598 on websites with measurements.  And everyone just says they sound amazing for their price.

Sep 18, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #19 of 28
  Interesting.

How about the AKG K7xx ????  They should be obtainable in the OP's price-range if he searches around on Massdrop and eBay and the like, and by all accounts are truly superb.  They measure even better than EITHER the AD900x or the HD598 on websites with measurements.  And everyone just says they sound amazing for their price.

I have the AKG K7XX headphones and they are my preferred open headphones, but they really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 28

I have the AKG K7XX headphones and they are my preferred open headphones, but they really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier.

I did figure the K7xx probably sound better than either the Sennheisers or the Audio Technicas, based on reviews and measurements that I've seen :p

It looks like this guy is fine with the idea of getting an amp, anyway, so I don't think that would be a concern for him in terms of whether he'd rule-out getting the K7xx.

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #22 of 28
Yes, the k702 always comes up in discussions of classical music. Here's why I'm leaning against them:
1. While everyone says it's great for some classical, I'vee read plenty of comments that indicate it's not much good for other things, not even all classical. It's not a good all-arounder but rather works well as part of a collection of cans.
2. Price. It's not a lot more than the dt880s, but still.
3. I've read that many think it's really uncomfortable.

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #27 of 28
I hadn't realized that people were referring to a specific model when writing k-7xx! That does sound good.

I guess Massdrop naming the headphone K7XX is kind of an inside joke, to headphone collectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back