Recommend me a sports car
Aug 21, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooztuncer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys, I might have found an interesting deal:

186184395-M.jpg

I believe it is primed and ready for a $50 rustoleum paint job, lol. Bad thing is it has 155k miles on it... Guess its year / price!

EDIT: by the way, after many hours of looking around/reading I kind of narrowed my choices to - I don't know what! Hmm let me see: prelude, sentra se-r spec v, civic si, nissan 300zx, above model, and perhaps a newer dodge intrepid - thanks again...

Mmm. 86-89 MR2, naturally aspirated, first generation. It's a Toyota, it'll hold up even with that many miles on it.

EDIT: Have you ever considered a Volvo? Perhaps a S70 T5, or an R if you can find one? They're fast, stealthy and very comfortable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #47 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lexus SC400. I drive my mom's all the time, and it's smooth like butter, it has a V8 (like it matters any), and it sounds pretty awesome. It's not the fastest car I've driven (that would be my dad's XKR), but it's very respectable. Ive even been able to pull off some controlled fishtails. The SC400 is kind of a cross between a sportscar and a luxury car. It's really a fun vehicle, and I would love to have one of my own.

Man, I'm tellin' your mom!
biggrin.gif
Our son smacked up my wife's brand new IS350 Lexus when he was driving crazy/showing off.
basshead.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #48 of 71
Wait, he starts a thread about a sports car and later tells us it needs to be good in the snow and seat 4 people?!?

Subaru Impreza

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #49 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I'm tellin' your mom!
biggrin.gif
Our son smacked up my wife's brand new IS350 Lexus when he was driving crazy/showing off.
basshead.gif

The first time was an accident. The second and third time, I just wanted to see if I could do it again. It's the adrenaline. Because now, I'm too scared. It just feels good to drive a sporty car after driving around in a land cruiser all the time.

P.S. Sorry about your IS350. But, I know why your son was showing off, it's a friggin fast (and nice) car.

Aug 21, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #50 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first time was an accident. The second and third time, I just wanted to see if I could do it again. It's the adrenaline. Because now, I'm too scared. It just feels good to drive a sporty car after driving around in a land cruiser all the time.

P.S. Sorry about your IS350. But, I know why your son was showing off, it's a friggin fast (and nice) car.

Yeah, it totally fun to drive. So I took him to the the racetrack and let him drive my car to get it out of his system.

I think it has helped him become a better driver. He respects speed and better understands the dynamics of driving, weight shift, throttle steering, etc. He got his jollies by doing a mild 4 wheel drift at 140mph around a wide sweeping corner, passing a bunch of 911s on the outside, much to their amazement.

Talk to your dad.
smily_headphones1.gif
Speed is ok in the right place at the right time. It's very dangerous when it's not in the right place/time.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #51 of 71
I am sorry to write it again, but I understood very quickly that I should have done my homework more thoroughly.

I am narrowing down my choices with your help, so please bear with me.

After another whole day of investigation, I ditched the Miata, Corvette, Porsche, RX7, 300ZX and 240SX from my shortlist. I am going to drive a sports (or sporty) car in Maine's winter so I started to look what type of sports (sporty) cars people are selling around here (duh!).

NH is kinda Camaro heaven, Boston is plagued with WRX's, and there are many Prelude's around me. Therefore, here is my updated shortlist:

Mitsubishi 3000GT / Dodge Stealth
Honda Prelude (vtec)
Nissan Sentra (se-r spec v)
Impreza WRX (perhaps out of my budget)
Camaro RS or Z28
Civic SI
MR2

Yesterday, I drove this car: http://maine.craigslist.org/car/392234101.html Pictures are below.

It was a blast! It was the first time I used a performance clutch and boy it was different. I like the builder very much and he put a lot of work to the car. Downside is it is VERY loud and you can barely cruise under 2000rpm (as soon as it hits the 2k you are flyin!) - a definite NO GO from my wife
frown.gif

It is getting more fun as days pass. Today, I will be checking the MR2 and another prelude...

Thanks!!

pics: http://ooztuncer.smugmug.com/gallery/3341585#186184395

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #52 of 71
Good choices, I think. A couple of suggestions:

1. You won't find a WRX within your budget. They're just too new (oldest model is something like a 2003), it won't happen.
2. I would be very very careful with that modded Prelude. Because of the extensive work that he's done (i.e. cams, swapping a head onto that engine that wasn't originally meant to be there), there may be very few people that are willing and able to work on it when it needs to be fixed, and when you do have to do major repairs you will be paying out the nose for it. This is assuming that you won't be working on the car yourself...if you are, and you feel comfortable working on that kind of stuff go right ahead.

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #53 of 71
Glad you liked the Prelude, as plus_c said, the Prelude is a VERY popular car to mod. You should be careful exactly what you are buying unless you know your ins and outs on the engine block. Bone stock is the best case scenario you should be shooting for.

Out of that amended list, I'd pick the Prelude, (make sure it has VTEC so that it comes alive in the higher RPMs though), the Sentra, or the Civic Si. Best bang for the buck vehicles that are sporty enough, but can be practical daily drivers as well.

My friend has a 3000GT VR4, that thing is a real beast in the twin turbo form. Naturally aspirated, I'd pick something else, since the car is so incredibly heavy. The trim is great if you can get leather, and it's real sharp looking though if you're into that.

The WRX, you're not going to find in that budget unless it's been salvaged perhaps.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #54 of 71
Have you considered a Volvo S60? Great luxury cars for the NE, and they are fast. I am almost certian that I am getting one later this year.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #55 of 71
That MR2 is badass. Looks really clean! The engine bay could use some tidying up, though. Hope it turns out well! My cousin has a late 1st-gen MR2 and it's great. Those engines can last for over 250k miles, too.

If I were looking for a sports car (I sure wish I was), I wouldn't settle for anything less than a manual FR (or RR, in the MR2's case
biggrin.gif
).

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #56 of 71
BTW... I'd also look at late 90's-2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. It was the top of the line trim level in the US (we didn't get the WRX until the 2001 model year, I believe). Fun, sporty (coupes), love the look, AWD. I think that's a viable alternative to your WRX wants.

I would also look at doing some autocrossing. check out http://www.scca.com to find somewhere in your area. It's a great way to cheaply wring out a car and test you limits in a safe, controlled environment. Usually 25-30$ an outting, and you can meet some knowledgeable people there as well. A lot of times, these guys will know where to find good cars.

Also, if you would be interested... check out http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com They are selling their 95 (i think) civic SI hatchback project car. It is set up to be an STS car (Street Touring Sport... autocross class open for popular mods and using street tires as opposed to r-compound race tires). 6500$... there may even be some articles on it in PDF form if you look around at the project garage on there.

Hope this helps...

**BRENT**

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #58 of 71
i would suggest getting a civic si circa 98-99. it should be within your budget and the car isnt too old, so it is still drivable for a few more years.

but most of the cars that you are looking at probably have been driven pretty hard by the owners or previous owners. and if you dont plan on spending more money on fixing them up, their useful life probably wont last much longer.

in the grand scheme of things, you may actually be spending way more than your budget if you take into account the cost of repairs, etc. and when you are test riding and deciding to pick to which cars, remember heavily modded cars have a much higher chance of failure than stock.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #59 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MexicanDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW... I'd also look at late 90's-2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. It was the top of the line trim level in the US (we didn't get the WRX until the 2001 model year, I believe). Fun, sporty (coupes), love the look, AWD. I think that's a viable alternative to your WRX wants.

I would also look at doing some autocrossing. check out http://www.scca.com to find somewhere in your area. It's a great way to cheaply wring out a car and test you limits in a safe, controlled environment. Usually 25-30$ an outting, and you can meet some knowledgeable people there as well. A lot of times, these guys will know where to find good cars.

Also, if you would be interested... check out http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com They are selling their 95 (i think) civic SI hatchback project car. It is set up to be an STS car (Street Touring Sport... autocross class open for popular mods and using street tires as opposed to r-compound race tires). 6500$... there may even be some articles on it in PDF form if you look around at the project garage on there.

Hope this helps...

**BRENT**

I'd forgotten all about the Impreza 2.5RS! Yeah, that'd be a great choice as well.

I'll echo the suggestion of autocrossing once you find your new ride as well - it's a cheap, FUN way of testing (and expanding) the limits of yourself and your car. I've been doing it for almost a year now, and it's one of the most fun things you can do in a car.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #60 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooztuncer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sorry to write it again, but I understood very quickly that I should have done my homework more thoroughly.

I am narrowing down my choices with your help, so please bear with me.

It is getting more fun as days pass. Today, I will be checking the MR2 and another prelude...

Thanks!!

I just thought about this some more today, and I just remembered another viable choice for a (sporty) car, especially if the SO is chiming in on the purchase. Mazda Millenia S - 215hp, supercharged inline-4 Miller Cycle engine, a nicely tuned stock suspension and all the luxury options that you can shake a stick at. If you can find a 2000-2001 model, you should take a really good look at them. The build quality on these things is really something else, and they're quite rare on the road so you have some exclusivity cachet.
biggrin.gif
Unfortunately, they're auto-only, but the missus will appreciate that, methinks.

And they sell for around 7-8k, so that's (sort of) within your budget.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back