Recommend me a headphone amplifier
Oct 2, 2003 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
Guess what? I got a buyer for my Cosmic package deal! The sale is pending! After all of the times I tried to put my Cosmic package deal up on sale here, it finally is going through! What do you know, heh...

So, I want a replacement headphone amplifier. I don't want another portable / mobile one like the Cosmic but I do want a dedicated home headamp. Here is my gear:

PS Power Port
BPT BP.Jr II Ultra power conditioner
PS Audio xStream Plus PC
HeadRoom Cosmic Power Supply Upgrade
Denon DVD 2900 universal player
DiMarzio M-PATH ICs
HeadRoom Cosmic (Reference Module)
Grado RS-1 (Radio Shack pads)

I listen to a wide variety of music: 60% classical / broadway / chamber / opera / femal vocalists; 30% pop / rock; 5% jazz / blues; 5% spoken word / poetry.

I'm considering the Ray Samuels HR-2 or the Meier Audio PreHead-1 because I have the Delphi SKYFi XM Satellite Radio tuner + my Denon. I would prefer crossfeed but it is not critical. Sonically, I want more detail & resolution. I want greater resolving power at low volumes. I want increased blackness between notes and I want greater articulation. Bass must go down one octave and be deeper + punchier. Midrange must be rich, balanced, and well articulated. Highs need not be strident but pristine and clear. Overall, I am looking for a dedicated home headamp that will be a definite upgrade over my Cosmic (Reference Module).

My timeframe is the next 7 business days. My budget is NO more than $1000 USD (shipping is extra). I want a dedicated home headamp only...no portable / mobile headamps anymore. I got the cash right now. Thanks!

Oct 2, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
Sonically, I want more detail & resolution. I want greater resolving power at low volumes. I want increased blackness between notes and I want greater articulation. Bass must go down one octave and be deeper + punchier. Midrange must be rich, balanced, and well articulated. Highs need not be strident but pristine and clear.

Jeesus, Welly Wu,
you want all that for a grand?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 21
You want a Grace 901. Although a new or demo unit is above your budget, you might be able to find one used for around a grand.
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 21
We are in the same situation Welly, except you have more money to spend for your rs-1's
rs1smile.gif
You seem not to mention the amps that I am considering. The MAD EAR+ or EAR+ HD, the singlepower MPX3 (disqualified for me unfortunately due to size) and a PPA. All of these amp will cost you no more than what you sold your cosmic stuff for and you will have enough left over from that $1000 to complete your upgrade by selling your rs-1's and getting a pair of Ms-pro's
wink.gif
, instand increase in detail.

Oct 2, 2003 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 21
SENOR4Q:

Yeah, I've read some stuff about the MAD EAR+ & EAR+ HD. The pairing with our RS-1s is supposed to be excellent. The SinglePower MPX3 is too damned big for my tiny bedroom too. But, I want to stay solid state.

On a side note, Mr. Samuels is sending a burned-in HR-2 headphone amplifier to my home along with some op-amps as well. I'll audition it and I will post my review of it in a few weeks. It is what I eventually was going to get anyway...

Oct 2, 2003 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 21
Originally posted by SENOR4Q
All of these amp will cost you no more than what you sold your cosmic stuff for and you will have enough left over from that $1000 to complete your upgrade by selling your rs-1's and getting a pair of Ms-pro's
wink.gif
, instand increase in detail.
[/QUOTE

OTOH, Music Pro is a wild card depending on the source and amps.

One of these days, I ought to try Music Pro with tube amps.

Oct 2, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 21
Kuma, I understand what you mean when you say wild card, it can sound a little painful with bad recordings, but spectacular with anything average or better. Try turnig your pads around. I did that and the issue went away comepletely. I am not exaggerating. This is how I knew the flat pads were for me, so I ordered them from TTVJ. DO it and I sure you'll sell your rs-1's, I did.

Oct 2, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by SENOR4Q
Kuma, I understand what you mean when you say wild card, it can sound a little painful with bad recordings, but spectacular with anything average or better.

*a little*? ha ha.
I guess you listen to more well-recorded stuff than I do.

It's all right most of the time, but, with Gilmore V2, some of the programme I was listening to was down right unbearable. ( which is a sort of odd thing for grado for me )

But, I do agree it shines with well-recorded stuff. ( that's Music Pro's Ace in a Hole over RS1 )

Quote:

Try turnig your pads around. I did that and the issue went away comepletely. I am not exaggerating. This is how I knew the flat pads were for me, so I ordered them from TTVJ. DO it and I sure you'll sell your rs-1's, I did.

nah.. I don't intend to take off the existing pads off RS1 or Music Pro. ( they are glued on ) Besides, I found flat pads uncomfortable. ( I threw away the original flat pads that came with RS2 and replaced 'em with bowl pads )

RS1 is a keeper for me. They do something just other phones don't do.

I've a feeling Music Pro and tube amps would be a good combo *if* they can control a slightly relaxed midbass on Music Pro.

Oct 3, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 21
I really think your description (an ideal) does sound quite like the emmeline. I own one, and not to plug it just for the sake of it, the amp does have the darkness between notes, the resolving detail you seek, and the price tag you want. I'd be pretty shocked if you can find a better deal then the HR2 in terms of quality.

It's really a special amp and i think it deserves your attention (and audition : ])

Oct 3, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #15 of 21
Kuma, The pads are actualy not glued on. I though it was too at first. What happens is with time they tend to adheed tot he wooden cup a little more. If you give it a gentle pull, you'll realize they are not glued on at all, so give it a try, you might like it
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back