Recommend me a good <$2000 electrostatic setup
Mar 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #31 of 41
If you want to take a risk, there will be these: http://moon-audio.com/JustAskDrew/2013/01/ces-2012-final-impressions-by-drew-baird-of-moon-audio-lookout-for-king-sound-electrostatic-headphones-and-amps-here-soon/

$1k SS $2k Tube

It's funny that you should mention it, because I stopped by my local Audeze dealer today after work to pick up my new LCD3, yay, and I happened to mention that I was looking into some electrostatic headphone rigs. He asked me if I could hold off a little longer because kingAudio, of which he is an authorized dealer, will be releasing an electrostatic headphone and amp combo very soon to compete with Stax. He mentioned that it would be ~$1000 for the combo, which I assume is the SS version from that link you posted. He didn't mention a tubed version at all.

I have to admit, I'm kind of curious about this new contender. Plus, he should be getting a demo unit that I can actually take a look at. And, as luck would have it, there is also a Stax dealer in my city. My plan is to take my time and demo as many units as possible before making a decision. Now I just have to figure out how to get my hands on the Koss ESP-950 for a demo.

Sitting here listening to my new LCD3 as I type this and WOW, so much smoother and more refined than the LCD2.2 that I just returned. Much more detail as well.:)

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #34 of 41
I've owned four different Lambdas as well as the Koss ESP950. I preferred the 950's to any of the lesser Stax. Many others have the same opinion. You need to listen for yourself, form your own opinion, and ignore all the absolutist statements.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #35 of 41
I demoed the Stax SR-507 today. It was paired with a 2 channel amp, sorry I can't remember the model, and the Woo WEE energizer. The sound was fairy good overall. I thought that it was a bit hot up top and maybe a little light on bass. I'm planning to go back again to demo the same 507 with a Stax tube amp and possibly a Woo GES. This dealer has some Woo audio gear coming in soon, but couldn't remember if the GES was part of that order.

They do have a brand new older model 404 in stock. What is everyone's thoughts on the 404? Is it worth consideration?

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #36 of 41
I like the 202 over the 303 and 404, but the 404 was pretty close.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:
... I stopped by my local Audeze dealer today after work to pick up my new LCD3, yay, and I happened to mention that I was looking into some electrostatic headphone rigs. He asked me if I could hold off a little longer because kingAudio, of which he is an authorized dealer, will be releasing an electrostatic headphone and amp combo very soon to compete with Stax. He mentioned that it would be ~$1000 for the combo, which I assume is the SS version from that link you posted. He didn't mention a tubed version at all.

Who is that dealer? Not so many north of the 49th!

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #39 of 41
I remember reading somewhere recently about Sennheiser working on a new electrostatic headphone. Any truth to that? Or, was it an Ortho.....can't remember.

If they do have something in development I hope it's at least within reach, unlike like the Orpheus.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:
They are working on a new 'stat set but they won't be anywhere near 2k$... 

Cool. Thanks!

Well, I could perhaps be persuaded to stretch my budget if the right product came along. I do often daydream about having an SR009 in my possession...
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Any idea on a release schedule?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back