Recommend: IEM with very warm sound signature (and highs that won't make my ear bleed)
Aug 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

slackerinabox

New Head-Fier
Firstly, thanks so much for any help. I tried to do research by myself but every set (and I've been through a lot) I've ordered based on reviews has either been way too muddy or ear splitting highs.  I'm now realizing that I don't have the taste of audiophiles - the RE0 and etynomics that come highly recommended have highs I perceive as so shrill that my ears literally hurt and I often get migraines.

Budget:  $0-$120 (as close to zero as possible, wife unemployed, etc. and I lose IEMs constantly.  $50 would be ideal)

Here are the characteristics I'm looking for:
* Good isolation (subway rider)
* Smooth and warm - I don't care much for clinical
* Good bass, but not muddy bass
* Highs that are present but not harsh
* As open/ large soundstage as possible
* Source: mostly an unamped windows phone (portable use mostly)
* Music listened to:  Indie rock, electronic, hip hop, alt-country (acoustic guitars).  Rarely classical
* Headphones I've tried:  I <3 my grados, tend to like senheissers (but found their in ears too boomy, maybe that's changed), and Koss Portapros are my disposable bring everywhere set.  As for in ears, I hated the RE0s (too shrill for me), respected but disliked etynomics, and tried low end Klipsch (s3?) which were almost there but felt flat to me for some reason.  Absolutely loved NuForce in ears but they kept breaking on me.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 6
Monster Turbine- despite the stereotypes often associated with the brand, these deliver a smooth, clean, and bassy sound. Soundstage is also decent. The one problem, i would presume, is that some people have had issues with durability. You can get refurbs from $50. You should also try the Vsonic GR06 or V-Moda Vibe (if you can find them), both of which are great value. Hope this helps!

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Monster Turbine- despite the stereotypes often associated with the brand, these deliver a smooth, clean, and bassy sound. Soundstage is also decent. The one problem, i would presume, is that some people have had issues with durability. You can get refurbs from $50. You should also try the Vsonic GR06 or V-Moda Vibe (if you can find them), both of which are great value. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions!  Question - are v-moda vibes and vibe duos basically the same thing?  Great price on amazon for the duos but the reviews pretty mixed.  I actually had a pair of Monster Turbines that I did like, but it had a weird bloat to it- hard to explain, I find low-end JVCs have a similar effect: exaggerated bass, zero mids, and highs that sound very "digital."  Maybe I'm remembering wrong (they were destroyed by my dog, the IEM monitor vacuum). 

These vsonics sound intriguing, though some people call them harsh.  I know it's all very subjective, but my ears are still ringing from my the $20 cheapies I listened to on my way to work 2 hours ago, so treble harshness is something I'm very sensitive to.

Thanks so much guys! 

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 6
JVC FX3X offers great deep punchy bass and overall warm soundsignature with fairly wide soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back