Recommend Bit Rate Converter?
Feb 9, 2008 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Can someone recommend me a FREE bit rate converter than will convert say a folder containing mp3 files from 128 to 192?

I want one that can convert a whole folder and not just one song at a time.

Thankyou for your help

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 16
Max will do this.
But I have no idea why you want to do so. MP3 is a lossy codec, and the audio data lost when encoding to 128Kbps can't be recovered. Hence transcoding to 192Kbps will only wake the files larger, while they wont have higher sound quality. Possible even worse, since they will be lossy encoded one more time...

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 16
It's useless to convert 128 kbps files directly to 192 kbps files.

What a compressor does is it take an audio files pass it through some compression algorithm some psychoacoustic algorithm and discard information it judge less relevant so that the size is 128 kbps. The information is lost so if you convert directly from 128 to 192 the 192 does not contain any additional information (quality) it may contain less since each time the files is recompress the encoder pass it through algorithm that is lossy and may potentially loose more informations.

So you'll waist some time, space, and quality

What you'll have to do is re-rip everything from original source (ie CDs)

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1012007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks for that. So what your saying is keep them as normal bit rate as long as their in mp3 format. Also what if i convert 192 to 128? what will that do

It will make your files smaller but with lower quality than if you had ripped directly from the CD to 128.

Why are you trying to do these conversions? Unless you have a serious space restriction, you're better off keeping the files as they are.

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 16
We are saying that its a total waste of time, space and audio data to transcode a lossy encoded file to higher bitrate. You are much better off re-ripping the tracks from CD to higher bitrate.

Going from 192Kbps to 128Kbps is not that bad. Since the source file are higher bitrate than the new file. But they will be inferior to files ripped directly from CD to 128Kbps.

Perhaps you can let us into what you are trying to achieve?
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 16
Ok well i download rather than rip off cd's so the bitrate on each sony is totally different. Never mind ill just leave them as they are

Thankyou for your help guys

Much appreciated

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Max will do this.
But I have no idea why you want to do so. MP3 is a lossy codec, and the audio data lost when encoding to 128Kbps can't be recovered. Hence transcoding to 192Kbps will only wake the files larger, while they wont have higher sound quality. Possible even worse, since they will be lossy encoded one more time...

hello supremus, I've tried your suggested link, but unfortunately this ripper is mac only! can you suggest me a Pc software (free, of course!)
thanks!

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 16
Feb 9, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 16
Feb 9, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's useless to convert 128 kbps files directly to 192 kbps files.

What a compressor does is it take an audio files pass it through some compression algorithm some psychoacoustic algorithm and discard information it judge less relevant so that the size is 128 kbps. The information is lost so if you convert directly from 128 to 192 the 192 does not contain any additional information (quality) it may contain less since each time the files is recompress the encoder pass it through algorithm that is lossy and may potentially loose more informations.

So you'll waist some time, space, and quality

What you'll have to do is re-rip everything from original source (ie CDs)

You're right[size=medium].[/size]

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zomas65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THANKS! i'ts a plesure to stay here in head-fi!
biggrin.gif

You're welcome!
Its a pleasure to have you here at Head-Fi as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back