RechargeableAmps?
Oct 22, 2004 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TWIFOSP

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all.

I'm going to be looking for a new portable amp here pretty soon.

One thing I'd like to do is cut down on batteries. Does anyone know of a good amp that has an onboard rechargeable battery? I know I can always go with regular rechargeable batteries. But I was wondering if there are any with like an intergrated lithium ion battery setup that you could charge just by plugging it in.

If there aren't any, any DIYers ever play with off the shelf lithium battery type stuff?

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 5
I know that Xin's SuperDual (no longer being made) and his new amp permit recharging without removing the batteries. I have both and they work well and have an excellent sound.

Oct 22, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 5
the larocco pocket reference uses rechargeable 9v batteries and has an internal trickle charger, so you don't have to replace the batteries. i actually use it as a home amp now that i have the sr71, but i still use it around the house at different listening stations. not much has been written about the PR recently, but it's a fine amp...beautiful and solid, and i think larry has gotten most of the kinks worked out. PM me if you have questions...

Oct 24, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 5
hello,

I build headphone amplifiers and i post them on ebay every so often, it has a nice size, only 3.15" long by 1.5" wide by .75" thick. It comes with a built in lithium-ion battery and charger so you will never have to take out the battery, also comes with an adapter to use with the adapter instead of the battery. It has great bass performance and can output almost 700mW. If you interested, please let me know.

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 5
You'll probably have a lot more luck finding NiMH rechargable amps than Li-ion. NiMH batteries don't have the memory or top-off charging problems of old NiCad batteries and come in much higher capacities. Lithium ion batteries have even higher capacities, but are VERY picky about how they are charged, charging too quickly or overcharging can cause them to explode. Additionally, they're pretty hard to find as a multi-cell battery with enough voltage to properly run a headphone amplifier, and putting them in series causes more charging issues. I've been looking at ways to build li-ion packs with chargers for portable amps and just haven't found a good solution in terms of size and reliability for 18+V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back