Recent changes in DT-770 Pro/80?
Dec 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
I've owned a DT-770/80 before, and sold them a few months ago. I just bought another new pair directly from a German merchant, and have been listening to them all day today for the first time since taking them out of the box. Already I notice some distinct differences between these and my previous pair.

I am listening with my 5G iPod, ALO Cryo Micro LOD, and Hornet "M." All files are in Apple Lossless format. The Hornet is set to Hi gain. This is the same setup I used with my previous DT-770/80.

My first observation was/is that the mids and highs are as smooth and crystalline as with my AKG K-271 S. On particularly "hot" recordings, including some tracks from New York Dolls, MC5, and the White Stripes, I would swear that I was actually listening to the AKGs. I never found the treble too shrill with my previous beyers, but I did find myself searching for the mids a bit more than I was willing to accept.

Next, the bass response while listening to the music described above was also weirdly similar to what I've come acquainted with through the AKGs. The bass is sounding actually quite "musical" and controlled, which differs from my previous experience with these same headphones.

For some further testing of the bass response of these new headphones, I went back to my computer and loaded Tori Amos' "Scarlet's Walk" album onto the iPod. I'm listening to the album for the second go-round now, still not believing what I'm hearing. I specifically remember that the track "I Can't See New York" was the one that finally turned me off to the bass characteristics of the beyers. The piano and vocals are coming through superbly, the latter sounding especially lush. The bass is there in a way that it isn't with any other headphones I've ever owned or heard, and to my shock is not overwhelming the track in any way.

I've got lots more fun listening to do today, and will be switching over to a new home-based source and headphone amp next week, and look forward to further enjoyment then.

This leads me to think that either a) the differences I'm experiencing are attributable to my Hornet being burned in this time around, or b) these headphones having a component or design change. The box the headphones shipped in is different and presumably newer than the previous packaging (this time it's all cardboard with no plastic window panel), but of course that's just packaging... However, the end pieces, as beyerdynamic calls them, are now the same as those used on the Premiumline headphones rather than the older ones with the white text on them.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has received any factory-fresh DT-770/80s and if your experience has been similar or different, or if either of the points I made in the preceding paragraph might have any bearing on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back