Rec'd MS1 today. Thoughts on the flavor...
Dec 1, 2011 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

riboMurf

New Head-Fier
After deciding that the mega-Kramer'd KSC75 will be my portable can, I've decided to return the HD25's. A damned fine set of cans, but just the wrong form factor, as I'm now primarily motivated by home listening. I decided to give the much praised MS1 a try.

Stock, they seemed a littled veiled but bright at the same time. Very pleasant, but fatiguing. First I quarter modded. The treble got very present and detailed. I opened the holes up to expose the whole driver and reinstalled with the thin HD25 foams. At this point the veil was gone. Staging seems slightly increased.

Still, though. Fatigue. Bleh. One full album and I need a break. Then I went to the living room and plugged into the phonograph, and threw on In Rainbows. After the first song, I moved the recliner and grabbed the puppy and listened to the whole record.

Has it been stated that Grado may have tailored their house to vinyl? Seeing as how they're a reputable cartridge company. Even my FLAC vinyl rips favor the MS1s over any of my other cans. They lift the treble without making the rip sound colder than it should. Electric Ladyland is a real treat through the MS1.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 16
Grados sound really good for older people I'm sure since the treble is really hot and it lets you hear the fine details without cranking the volume to where it's uncomfortable.

By doing that they sort of made the headphones a bit uncomfortable for everybody who is used to a certain volume with their music lol

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 16
Heh, funny you mention that. I've recently been wondering if my gravitation towards Grados has anything to do with hearing loss from years in a thrash metal band.

(Ugh, have I become..."older"?)

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 16
I don't know why these are considered harsh. I don't find them very harsh at all.

Heck the ath m50 is harsher to me.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
I don't know why these are considered harsh. I don't find them very harsh at all.

Heck the ath m50 is harsher to me.

Everybody's hearing is different, hearing isn't a matter of "skill"... lots of people get uptight about other people liking or disliking the same sounds they do... it's a matter of perceiving "flavor" as well.

For instance I prefer quiet listening... but on a headphone with recessed treble or even just an outright neutral can.... I might have to turn it up to enjoy just as much... with Grados I just feel like I'm getting more for the volume without hurting my ears too.

I have a collection of broken in bowl pads that I just swap into any new Grados I get haha... only way I could wear the RS-2's I bought a while back lol

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 16
OP - if you want to take it to the next level, bowl pads and woody them.  Adds timbre (no that's not a pun) and body - makes the mid range even better IMO.  Well worth doing!

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
What's a good source for the woodie cups?

IMO you should save your money. Adding wood bowls, recabling...etc. may change the sound for you but the additional 300/400% increased cost added to you MS-1 won't make them a $400/$500 pair of headphones because you'll still have the MS-1 drivers. The least expensive mod with the greatest effect is to replace the bowl pads with TTVJ flats  If you want wood, set your sites on a used RS-1 for around $550.

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 16
^ or you can get Magnum drivers and put them in wood cups.

Punching too many holes in the driver is a bad idea... In fact, any more than 2 per side will screw up the sound, imo. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the advice fatcat, but I like to mod. There's a set of RS2is in town for $350 new. They sound great, but I like to tinker. And from what I've seen, you can swap the drivers for $120 bucks. Not that I want to. I'd really just like low-pro woodies to add a little more color.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:

IMO you should save your money. Adding wood bowls, recabling...etc. may change the sound for you but the additional 300/400% increased cost added to you MS-1 won't make them a $400/$500 pair of headphones because you'll still have the MS-1 drivers. The least expensive mod with the greatest effect is to replace the bowl pads with TTVJ flats  If you want wood, set your sites on a used RS-1 for around $550.

Beg to differ.  Less than $100 for a set of full woodies (thanks to WJE), $30 for bowls, and $10 for a Beyer headband.  Are they RS-1 level? - probably not.  Are they infinitely better than what they cost - heck yes.  Not sure where you got the 300-400% from .......

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #13 of 16
Loving these drivers!

I left them under my pillow on a mix of pink noise and some ambient nature sounds (tinnitus is crazy lately so I have to have some sound in my pillow or the ear that's in it rings). After 8 hours they are much smoother. They still have a few warts. Busy treble seems to overwhelm them, and they lose a little definition and separation, but it's worth it. They really love well ripped vinyl! The half-dollar holes in the comfies with the HD25 foams definitely add some air and seem even more comfortable, as there's not much direct pressure on the inner cartilage of the ear. The separation is just startling sometimes. This is the first can I've found that really treats reverb in the mix very well. It's not "natural," but it's very, very pleasing.

Tonight's playlist. All ripped from source vinyl by PBTHAL. His turntable is just so much better than mine :wink:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (Japan release)
The Doors - The Doors
Yes - Fragile
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #14 of 16
Glad to hear you're liking them. Just wait until you get more burn-in time on them - that instrument separation is just gorgeous. But I'm also in the "loved 'em so much they're off for wood and a recable" group, so I'm a bit biased. :wink:

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 16
You have good ears OP.
These sound perfect with vinyl and the bright/agressive CD recordings really can sound more agressive/bright with Gradessandros.

Nothing wrong with punching holes if you enjoy bass. My MS1s have 6 and the bass doesn't muddy the midrange, at all. They have bass whereas my 325is have way less. The later are more agile and articulate, though. You can't have it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back