recabling westone 3s
Oct 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kiran

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

I have two westone 3s (bought the second one after it failed 3 years after I bought the first). I recently looked through the FS/FT section and I found a seller selling his/her set (http://www.head-fi.org/t/736358/westone-3-recabled) and I never knew I could do this. That said, I don't particularly trust my soldering skills nor do I consider myself to be a reliable person who can fix these IEMs on my own. Between my self-studying and other work, I simply cannot set aside this kind of time to learn, develop the skill and to complete this task on my own without substandard performance. Would there be individuals (private persons) or businesses that could do these? Some of the recabling posts were as old as 2007 and as new as 2012, but things change significantly within 2 years.

Furthermore, what do I need to look out for when I request these? I'm guessing buying my own cables/choosing from a list of cables they offer would be one part, but are there any specific questions I need to ask? As I'm transitioning from a consumerist mindset to a repair and reuse mindset, I'd certainly be happier going through the repair route (especially if I can extend the life of this product for many more years). Furthermore, I'm still unsure about whether to send it in to westone to pay $200/pair (as per out of warranty replacement) to get the W30s. It would depend on the cost of the job, but I'm not closed to this option based on how much the repair costs. I sincerely appreciate everyone's input in this.

A disclaimer: I did conduct a search and two vendors I found (Fisher Audio and Unique Melody) have more than one site for what they do and they don't clearly advertise the services on their site. Maybe it's because of a long day at work, but I'd appreciate any sage advice I can receive.I've been in and out of Head-Fi for quite some time now and I've never stuck around so I spend most of my time reading whenever I get a chance to dedicate a few weeks between this, photography and my work-related self-study (whatever the flavor of the month(s) may be). So, please excuse me for not being completely on top of things.

Thank you for your time in advance and take care.

Kiran

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 3
http://www.btg-audio.com/mods.htm

$45 to recable - maybe plus a new cable.... not sure...

Sorry for the abbreviated answer before - children invading my office space

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 3
No worries for a short response, this is exactly the solution for which I was looking. I'll look through his cable offerings and see it. I love the removable cable mod so I can keep the option open to swap cables if these ones go bad. I'm so happy. Thank you SO much!!! Take care.

Kiran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back