recabling grado?
Feb 24, 2011 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fondoo

New Head-Fier
im not very comfortable recabling my grado sr80i. im looking to shorten the cable and change the grill. does anyone know any reputable with references that can mod my grado sr80i? i am willing to pay.

thanks in advance

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 4
really, it's not that hard and this is DIY
tongue.gif

All you have to do is put a hair dryer on the grados for a while around the cup (not at the driver) til the glue melts, pull the top off, punch out the screen, put some glue on a new one and shove that in the place.  From there, do the cable.  Buy a nice neutrik plug and chop off the amount you want gone of the cable.  From there solder the appropriate wires to the right parts of the connector.  IIRC, the blue wire(s) are negative and the white cable is the right and the red cable is the left.  Pretty simple, although honestly if I'm spending that much time I'm going to replace the cable with an upgraded one and put aside the grado one for a rainy day.  I'm actually in the process of waiting on a bunch of neutrik connectors because i had a defective one sent to me that I used on my grado recable
mad.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 4
I am also looking to do something similar. I have a pair of SR80is and need to at least replace the plug because it's bent. Does anyone know a way to make a good quality cable or could steer me to a replacement cable that I could solder on? The existing grado cable is a bit long and the single wires going to the individual cans are twisted and have kinks. I saw some replacement cables on a high end cable site and they are way too expensive. I'm looking to possibly upgrade the cable, but don't need one that costs as much as the headphones themselves.

Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 4
You can find guides to recabling a pair of Grados if you search.  You can find guides to building cables in the same manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back