Recable procedure advice
Jun 3, 2011 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chrislangley4253

Headphoneus Supremus
hello, I have two solid silver headphone cables. One is 4 conductor and going on my portapros the other is 8 conductor and going on my Grados. Any advice on what iron to buy? Do I need flux?

Also, any advice on the steps of the process or how to tell which wire goes where would be great. (I'm not sure if I can do that without a multimeter, I'm sure I can find or borrow one though.) Any links to any advice would be awesome too. Anything you throw at me to help make this a bit easier would be greatly appreciated. this will pretty much be my first time soldering. So go easy on me :)

Chris

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 6
I personally own the Weller WLC100.  They have it at testequipmentdepot.com for $40.  Pick up one of more ST7 tips for it as well, you need something with a fine point.  They sell the tips at at the same site.  I don't know if you could find a better soldering station for the money.  You might also want to pick up something called a "helping hands" stand.  They usually come with a magnifying glass and two alligator clips to hold things you're working on in place.

I would also suggest that you find a good soldering guide, if for nothing else, just for the safety instructions as they can be very dangerous in inexperienced hands.

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 6
I did the recable with a cheapo 30 watt iron that I found in the tool box. The recable on my portapros went very smoothly. The grados were a bit more difficult with the 8 conductor cable.. I think I would have greatly benefited with another pair of hands.. i'll probably redo the job once I have someone to help me hold the cables in place, but it still turned out pretty decent. 

Jun 11, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Glad to hear it came out ok.  That helping hands stand would have come in handy.  Oh and you've heard the rule, pics or it didnt happen.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back