Rec for comfortable cans with decent bass (not a bass fiend) under $100
Jun 9, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
MS-1 - SR125
MS-2 - SR325
MS-Pro - RS-1

Or so they say. Where are you getting this info?
Also, think of the price. Grado have a deal with Alessandro and sell them their cans so they label and modify them. If you were correct, it would be a pretty bad equation for either Alessandro or Grado as the MS1 are 99$ and the 125s retail at 150$. If we assume that both Grado and Alessandro make a profit from selling MS1s, why would Grado sell them 125s and make a lot less profit?

Example:
Grado produces the 125s for 50$. They retail for 150$. Profit for Grado: roughly 50-80$
Grado sells these cans to Alessandro for 75$.
Alessandro sells them for 99$.
Profit for Grado: 25$. Profit for Alessandro: less than 25$.

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #17 of 31
If I recall correctly, a lot of people put the MS1 right between the SR80 and the SR125.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's probably a good idea. By getting the cheaper SR60s first, he can check whether he is happy with the Grado sound and comfort, and maybe later upgrade to MS1s.

Hmmm, I may just do that. It'd be a good starting point. So, SR60s or SR60is? I think SR60i but if the original is somehow better...?

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #19 of 31
Since you said you weren't totally stuck on open...I would increase your options to closed as well.  In my opinion there are better closed phones than open phones to be had for under $100.  Mainly because the bass of the open phones in that price range will be lacking, and the sound stage sacrifice of closed cans at this price range isn't that bad.  I have heard that MS1 sound stage isn't a whole lot better than decent closed cans.  Once you start moving up the price ladder then you can get open phones with bass which have both great sound stage and good bass. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #20 of 31
Alright. Thread title changed. 
biggrin.gif

Is there a comparison between the traits of open and closed headphones I can look at (or can somebody just jot down a brief explanation)?

And then, closed recommendations? Shure SRH440s were mentioned earlier; I'm not sure about those as from what I read they need amping for good sound.

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #21 of 31
Shure SRH 440 once burned in has some pretty powerful bass.Much more than the 840.
440 doesn't need or benefit from an amp.

Shure SRH 840 is the one that needs an amp and a decent/good source not a mp3 player to truly shine.

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #22 of 31

The 440's don't need an amp, but they can benefit from one. Even from a fiio e5. 

Quote:
Alright. Thread title changed. 
biggrin.gif

Is there a comparison between the traits of open and closed headphones I can look at (or can somebody just jot down a brief explanation)?

And then, closed recommendations? Shure SRH440s were mentioned earlier; I'm not sure about those as from what I read they need amping for good sound.

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #23 of 31
I don't have too much full size under $100 can experience, but FWIR audio technica M50 get a lot of praise around here for being good for the money.  Maybe research them a bit..I know they are quite a bit more popular than the Shure SRH440.  Also, people say the JVC HARX700 is a great deal too.

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #24 of 31
I'll second the ATH M50 suggestion. It's the top of the Audio Technica studio monitors line, and definitely a step up from SR60. The bass is very good. Sounds fantastic straight out of an iPod or soundcard, though adding an amp in the future can refine the sound even more. I didn't do my research properly and paid $199 for mine here in Canada, but they are now available in the United States at your budget level.

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #25 of 31
Hmmm, the ATH M50 does look very nice.

Quote:
posted by TheWuss

it's biggest drawbacks really don't come so much in the form of sound quality as they do in the region of comfort.  As the clamping force is a bit much, and prevents me from wearing them longer than a couple hours at a time.

Also, as a result of them being closed cans with a tight seal, your ears will require quite a bit of adjustment when putting these on.  after a few minutes, the pressure will equalize, but at first it feels like your ears need to pop.

That's something I'm concerned about. Are most closed 'phones like that? My ears are a bit sensitive to air pressure stuff like that. Also, he does say the clamp a bit too much. I don't know if that would affect me or not (could be dependent on head size). Could the band be stretched/bent to alleviate that a bit or something?

Overall rather positive impression of them, though.

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 31
Out of the box, the ATH M50 clamping force is pretty strong. I did find them a little tight at first, but did not experience any issues with air pressure. After a couple of weeks of normal use, the clamping force naturally weakened to the point I would call just right. And yes, you can speed that process up by stretching the headband. The sides can extend down from the band to accommodate various head sizes, so that will also factor into how tight the clamp is.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #27 of 31
Alright, I'm interested, then. I see there have been a fair number of them in Sale/Trade...

Anything else I should know/consider?

Feeling pretty good about this. Right at the top of what I want to spend, but sounds nice, especially that clear and just-right amount of bass. They look cool, too. And I should stop saying 'sounds good' on an audiophile forum...

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #28 of 31
I am now shopping around for ATH M50s. PM'd somebody here. Any other good places to get them at a nice price, new or used? I prefer under $100 but I see they retail (at least in the US) for slightly over.

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #30 of 31
I recall they usually were cheapest from ebay.  I think you need to make an offer.  Maybe someone recalls how low the seller will go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back