Real Life Usage / Experience - DAP & Portable Hi-Fi Options

Do you use your DAP as much as you thought you would?

• Yes, I frequently use my DAP and consider it a main component in my audio equip. setup

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Almost - not quite as much usage as I thought, but still a device I use fairly regularly

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No, it just didn't get much use and mostly gathers dust now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, why did I even buy this thing?!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't own a DAP , just use "regular" electronics on the go (cell phone, tablet, etc)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other, please detail below

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Jun 9, 2017 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ksweene5

100+ Head-Fier
H-Fier's - It's a long post, but the main point is up top, specifics towards the bottom.

I am currently debating keeping a Fiio X5 Gen 3 DAP. I have a portable DAC/Amp that works with my phone already.

The questions in brief (details below) -

1) If you bought a DAP to use over your Smartphone, did you actually use the DAP as much as you thought you would? Or did it gradually gather dust as you opted for the convenience of playing through your phone?
2) Would there be a noticeable difference in sound quality from the DAP?

A couple perks for me from the Fiio are -

1) The ability to play high quality files through my car via AUX out - I don't bother with hooking up the RSA in the car.
2) A nice Bluetooth playback option to use on my home stereo (currently don't have a way to bluetooth into my living room audio).
3) if you've found other perks in using a DAP please drop those in the comments

My current setup is Android (OnePlus 3t), into a Ray Samuels Audio ( RSA ) Predator DAC/Amp. My headphones include - Pinnacle P1's , Etymotic HF5's, HD650's , ATH-M50x, UE 6000 and some others. So not too many that need an amp - the RSA drives the 650's just fine.

I realize a lot of people use something like the V20 as a phone and DAP - but I am super picky about my phones and only like stock or near stock android. If you have other phone suggestions with hi quality audio I would take those rec's as well - I'm T-Mobile in the US.

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 7
My Dap gets used daily but not always as a Dap and a lot of times as a dac. I did not have Tidal when I got it . I like to sit on the back patio and enjoy the birds and othe critters and listen to music. I'll drag a amp out if I want to listen to full sized headphones for a different sound as my Dap the QP1R will drive all of my headphones but the HD-6xx's are just so much better with the Bottlehead Crack and it is small enough to bring outside.
I work construction so I will not take anything very good with me so I mostly listen to IHeart radio as Tidal would cost a fortune.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 7
The ability to stream was a big reason I like the new x5 iii over many other DAPs. With so many people rec'ing the V20 /10 (generally phones with good internals) - would I get the same or similar performance from a LG V20/10 as opposed to a true DAP?

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 7
I can't be bothered to carry a DAP since

1. My IEMs have high enough sensitivity and the Galaxy Note 3 and 4 have decent audio output.
2. I use my Galaxy Note3 as a home music server, especially with Neutron Music Player's EQ

That's about to change though. The X5III runs Android and can run NeutronMusicPlayer, and can work with the DK1 dock (plus a 1.9v line output).

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 7
your points are the main part of my hesitance. I really don't travel with anything that needs extra power (amp)on the go - with the Pinnacle P1 being the only thing close ( I don't travel with 650's).

The music "server" is something I would like - and part of the draw to the Fiio. That being said, there are options that don't require buying an expensive DAC and my receiver handles decoding through USB well.

As with most things on here, this is a want and not a need. I have been hankering for DAP, but with little reason to want one specifically. A deal on the X5 iii popped up and I jumped before the price went back up.

After reading a bunch on this, it sounds like I could probably get a smartphone with dedicated DAC (v10/20 Axon 7, etc) and have the audio benefits, a phone if need be, and cost savings - plus a full app store. I just hate getting equip that I don't use as much as I thought .With this hobby there are always other items I have in mind.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 7
your points are the main part of my hesitance. I really don't travel with anything that needs extra power (amp)on the go - with the Pinnacle P1 being the only thing close ( I don't travel with 650's).

The music "server" is something I would like - and part of the draw to the Fiio. That being said, there are options that don't require buying an expensive DAC and my receiver handles decoding through USB well.

As with most things on here, this is a want and not a need. I have been hankering for DAP, but with little reason to want one specifically. A deal on the X5 iii popped up and I jumped before the price went back up.

After reading a bunch on this, it sounds like I could probably get a smartphone with dedicated DAC (v10/20 Axon 7, etc) and have the audio benefits, a phone if need be, and cost savings - plus a full app store. I just hate getting equip that I don't use as much as I thought .With this hobby there are always other items I have in mind.

One other reason I'm looking into getting the X5III, or the IV if it takes me that long, is the possibility of smartphones dropping the 3.5mm jack. A pocketable BT amp can work but then on top of that, T-Mobile and some other carriers have started dropping easy payment plans for the phones, and just sell only Simcards + Plans. If I have to blow too much on a smartphone I might as well split $600 between a fast enough phone (that I can't get a stand-dock for when I use it as a server, unlike Samsungs) and a good DAP rather than one smartphone that can kind of serve as both, but a phone being a phone, will take a lot of punishment that a DAP won't (ie, I never dropped my iPod and amp, but I've always dropped every phone I had).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back