RE2 Vs PK3 Vs NE-7M Vs New Cable For Super Fi. 3
Apr 11, 2009 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Thrashingshrimp

100+ Head-Fier
Basically, my cable for my UHP336 is starting to wear out and stuff (the sound is getting a little distorted in the left ear too). I think it needs a cable, but I thought, why should I buy a new cable if I can get a new pair of earphones for the same price?

Of those listed in the topic title, which do you think I should get. I'll be using an 8GB Sansa Fuze and I primarily listen to classical, rock, and rap (I know, wide range).

I've heard the RE2 is sort of open. Is it more like the PK3 or Nuforce in terms of isolation? Does it have microphonics?

I have a KSC75, so would the PK3's be worth it, or are they the exact same in a different form?

I've heard great things about the NE-7M, but is it that much better than my Super Fi.3's?

My budget is 50 bucks. The other alternative is to just sit and wait until my Super fi. 3 dies, and then use my Kramer Modded Marshmallows and KSC75s until my birthday, and then buy some high-end pair of headphones or something (100-130 bucks max).

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 20
I unfortunately don't really have anything helpful to suggest to you, but I am also looking for some thoughts on those same phones. I'm in the same price range and have been trying to figure out whether to get the NE-7M, RE2, or UHP336(Super Fi. 3). So please, bring on the opinions!

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 20
I own both the Super.fi 3 and the RE2, and I must say that I prefer the RE2. They're just a lot more detailed than the SF3, almost to the point where the UEs sound muddy (straight out of my Sansa Clip). The RE2 is open, however, so you won't get nearly the same amount of isolation. The microphonics are actually quite terrible since the cable is so stiff; this can be somewhat alleviated with the included shirt clip. Overall, I would say it is an upgrade from the super.fis, but you are sacrificing isolation in place of detail, and neither earphone will give you much bass, if that's what you're looking for.

With that said, I really enjoy mine.
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 20
Has anyone compared the NE-7M to the UHP336/Super-fi 3? I'm curious as to which would be better for classical music and techno (so I guess detail in the mid and high is most important, but it also has to have strong bass).

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 20
See, when you guys say the RE2's are "open", do you mean that they are like earbuds with NO sound isolation, or do they have some (like the Marshmallows). I think I'll go ahead and choose between the RE2's and NE-7Ms now (or PK3's).

More comments, please!

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 20
Everyone seems to be ignoring your question: The RE2s are designed like canalphones, so they will isolate a fair deal. However, they also have vents in the back which let sound past, reducing their isolation. They'd definitely be closer to the NE-7Ms in isolation. Microphonics are pretty bad, but from what I've heard, the NE-7M isn't any better.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 20
I really don't understand how people can complain about microphonics with the NE-7M, honestly. I hate to be rude, but if someone has problems with it they're probably just an idiot. All that is necessary is looping it over your ear, and I've worn it regularly even during exercise and never noticed a single hint of microphonics. If someone isn't willing to loop something over their ear, but they're willing to complain about how bad the microphonics are - it's probably better if I don't say.

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 20
I've got a Westone ES cable brown, I'll sell you, my UE 5's broke before I could clip the pins so they're like-new never used. Then if you upgrade to the UE 5's or Triple.fi's you'll have a nice braided cable. pm me if you're interested I'll sell it for less than msrp shipped

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #12 of 20
The NE-7M seems to be getting some rave reviews. But do you need the mic?

Yea. The RE2s are canal phones, not true IEMs. A compromise.
The PK3 are true earbuds, so no isolation.

Maybe get another pair of UHP336? If you like the sound. It is on sale on Amazon right now.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 20
KSC75 (Kramer modded with a headband) to me is very similar to the PK3, but with less isolation and a little less bass impact, but better treble energy/extension. However, my PK3 is out on loan, so I haven't done a direct comparison since I modded my KSC75 after my PK3s went on loan, just going off memory of how I remember them comparing to my other IEMs.

The NE-7 is a different headphone than either, much better iso than either and no microphonics for me. As far as sound, the NE-7 has better bass than the PK3 and better treble extension, but the PK3 sounds more airy and engaging.

Personally I think the PK3s/KSC75 sound better with acoustic and the NE-7s sound better with electronic music.

I have not heard the RE2, but from what I have read they have better mids/highs than the NE-7, but lack the bass impact (which is a turn off for me).

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 20
I have had all 4 of the phones you mentioned. My vote goes to the PK3 for good fun sound and good efficiency. My second place phone and it is close, would be the KSC 75s especially amped and modded. Average Joe describes the defferences between the PK3 and the 75s well.

These two top choices do not isolate so keep that in mind. My next choice would be the Nuforce which do many things well but have a weird cupped midrange on voices and a weird treble peak that makes cymbals sound more unnatural. Last would be the RE2s, glassy and bright, with no warmth at all, yet some folks like that.

Good luck with your search. And remember what you get here is all opinion and personal preference and yours may vary.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #15 of 20
The re2s are a great choice. especially paired with an e5. It actually isolates quite a bit especially with the double flange tips. The only thing that i kinda don't like is the cable. Its pretty microphonic. But that doesn't really bother me since i wear them under my shirt. Barely any microphonics if you do that. Plus the cable is a little to stiff for my liking, but i guess its also less prone to tangles.

EDIT: for the same price of the nuforces, you can get the re2 AND the e5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back