RE2 Vs. PFE
May 15, 2009 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Thrashingshrimp

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm enjoying my RE2 very much right now. At first I pretty much hated them, but I had a change of heart as their delicious mids and highs outweigh the slight lack of punch in the low end. Anyway, I have the opportunity of sending these back (woot Head-Direct), and was wondering if the PFE would be significantly better (but a similar sound sig). If not, I'll just keep the RE2s.

I have an E5 by the way.

May 15, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 5
I also have the PFE (gray filter, shure olives on shallow insertion) playing with my Sansa Fuze driven by an E5 (upgrading to either T4 or MBE+ soon). And the sound for me is amazing. I didn't hear the RE2 yet but with your sound sig preference, the PFE will never disappoint plus the lows, which others think is thin or lacking, is very deep, tight and controlled with the E5 (just turn on the bass boost). Unamped, it is not lacking at all but a bit neutral for my taste - no question about the quality though.

May 15, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm enjoying my RE2 very much right now. At first I pretty much hated them, but I had a change of heart as their delicious mids and highs outweigh the slight lack of punch in the low end. Anyway, I have the opportunity of sending these back (woot Head-Direct), and was wondering if the PFE would be significantly better (but a similar sound sig). If not, I'll just keep the RE2s.

I have an E5 by the way.

you will be amazed if you try RE2 on a full size head-amp

May 15, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you will be amazed if you try RE2 on a full size head-amp

I haven't tried that yet, mine are at around 40 hours so I'll wait before critiquing them for my final conclusion. I do think they're worth the $40 but right now they have a strange midrange thing going on.

But yeah, ever try Ety ER4 with tubes...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back