RE0s with Zune 120 GB
Nov 25, 2009 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bcpk

1000+ Head-Fier
My friend is looking for some new earphones for his Zune 120 GB, and I recommended that he buy the RE0 at their current, fantastically-discounted price. However, it is well-known than the RE0s need amping. The Zune rather unfortunately does not have an available LOD so something like an E5 would just be amping an already amped signal. Zunes are meant to have pretty good audio internals already, right? How would RE0s be with one?

Nov 26, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 12
For a while, I used my 120GB Zune as my main DAP. RE0's worked fine with it, but they worked better with an amp (BSG cmoy in my case). The Zune has some hard drive feedback and hiss, but this was eliminated with the cmoy. Also, it seemed to "open up" more with the cmoy and just sound better. A Fiio E5 might be a worthwhile addition.

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 12
All right, thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Has anyone else used an E5 with Zune/RE0s?

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All right, thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Has anyone else used an E5 with Zune/RE0s?

Every amp I've used with my Zune has performed admirably. I'd get a cMoyBB2.02 instead of an E5... any cMoy that gets decent reviews is better than an E5, IMO.

If an E5 is the most you can afford, though, then get one. If you can afford a cMoy, then get a good one.

Nov 26, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Well the E5 is rather more portable!
biggrin.gif

Pennies are more portable than Krugerrands, but which ones would you rather have?

Nov 26, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Well the E5 is rather more portable!
biggrin.gif

If you're after portability just get a Clip+...
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, if you're going to amp it, consider a cmoy. It's still portable. Not necessarily pocketable, but quite portable.

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're after portability just get a Clip+...
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, if you're going to amp it, consider a cmoy. It's still portable. Not necessarily pocketable, but quite portable.

Shouldn't we call that transportable?
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shouldn't we call that transportable?
tongue.gif

If you're using full-size cans or a tube amp, then yes. For real portability, I just stick my Clip+ and RE0s in an Altoids tin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back