RE0 vs UM1
Jul 23, 2009 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jt4266

New Head-Fier
Both of these are comparable in cost and are well liked IEM's. I had UM1's but they met their untimely demise by dog. I liked them well enough and would consider a repurchase but the RE0's are getting a lot of press around here.

I'm looking for:

-Good isolation for subway
-Very little or no microphonics
-durable

My source is a Sansa Fuze unamped. I listen to a variety of music so a balanced sound is best. What do you think choosing between the 2? Is there a contender I should be considering in the sub $120 price range?

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 7
The UM1 has superior microphonics, isolation, and maybe durability. Their sound is more warm/fun-sounding than the RE0's, which are very cold/analytical. The RE0's benefit a lot with amping from all reports.

It's a toss up IMO.

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 7
RE0's are great, i dont view them as cold.. nor are they warm, they are just very balanced/neutral

however, microphonics is definitely an issue with the re0

i say give the NE-7m a shot. they're only $55 too

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 7
I agree.. I have owned both and decided to go with the RE0's. IMO, the RE0 have better SQ, and while UM1 have superior microphonics, if you wear the RE0 over the ears, microphonics is GREATLY improved. that's my two cents

Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0's are great, i dont view them as cold.. nor are they warm, they are just very balanced/neutral

however, microphonics is definitely an issue with the re0

i say give the NE-7m a shot. they're only $55 too

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 7
don't know about SQ of the NE-7's but microphonics is also quite bad on those...although i guess you could also wear those around the ears to eliminate a lot of it.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 7
oh and if you do end up getting the RE0's there is a mod removing the foam that imo improves SQ a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back