RE0 vs Brainwavz M2
Dec 5, 2010 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ClassicRock1169

New Head-Fier
After much searching around this forum it seems like the 2 best sub $100 IEM. I listen to mostly Classic Rock and a little rap. I like something with decent isolation to. What would you guys recommend? I have Grado SR-80 and I like them but they get a little tiring after 30 minutes. I don't want something that is going to tire my ears. Thanks for the help.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 18
With the right tips (in my case, the stock large bi-flanges) RE0 may be the best IEM I've ever heard for rock.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 18
re-zero is also very good for under 100$

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
Have you heard the M2? and what makes them the best headphones for rock.

No, I haven't heard the M2, but I heard most of the high-end universal IEMs and also owned Westone ES3X customs. RE0 can compete well against all of them IMO. In my case, I found it great for rock with the stock large bi-flange tips, because the sound was pleasantly warm and full in the upper bass/lower mids, yet still detailed and clear with excellent separation. The bass was tight and very well defined and reached plenty deep enough for rock music. The sound was neither too laid back, nor too aggressive, but noticeably on the warm side and with plenty of energy and sparkle in the treble, yet no harshness. The treble sounded very sweet on the RE0 with the large bi-flanges to my ears, but still retained most of its definition and ultra fine detail. Overall, the sound actually reminded me quite a bit of that of Shure SE530, but with a more present, extended treble and more forward lower mids/upper bass that made its signature perfect for rock IMO.

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 18

id be able to tell you how the M3's sound compared to the RE0's soon but ive only just recently ordered them.

i dont have a whole lot of experience with alot of other in ears, but i dont see anyone being disappointed with the RE0's unless youre looking for something with hard bass. the bass on the RE0's is there and its balanced, just on the low end.

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 18
It's going to come down to a question of preference. RE0 are very analytical, bass light in the same vein as etymotic, and highly detailed. The M2 is going to be a much smoother, warmer, euphonic sounding IEM. Technically, the RE0 is the better IEM - no questions there. But I've found that personal preference plays a far greater role in the types of IEMs people prefer vs technical ability. So decide based upon what type of sound you prefer.

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 18
How about Sunrise Xcapes? I am pretty happy with them and people say that they have the detail of RE0s with a little bit warmth, so somewhere between those two, but closer RE0s. See joker's review.

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
It's going to come down to a question of preference. RE0 are very analytical, bass light in the same vein as etymotic, and highly detailed. The M2 is going to be a much smoother, warmer, euphonic sounding IEM. Technically, the RE0 is the better IEM - no questions there. But I've found that personal preference plays a far greater role in the types of IEMs people prefer vs technical ability. So decide based upon what type of sound you prefer.

RE0 is a very smooth sounding IEM. Not SE530 smooth, but close IMO and easily on par with most high end universals. I think you are using a wrong term here.

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 18
M2 and RE0 sound very different where it will depend on your preferences. The M2 have a boosted bass response and that does add to the fun factor with them. They also are built much better and have better accessories where it actually has a usable case for portable use. The bass of the M2 is a bit boosted but very enjoyable with good mids and the treble being the last focus. RE0 is more analytical with build quality not being as good but the RE0 is more about sound first and everything else later. It has better detail than the M2 and less bass than the M2. I consider the RE0 superior on a technical level but it really depends on if you enjoy the kind of signature offered by either one.

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
M2 and RE0 sound very different where it will depend on your preferences. The M2 have a boosted bass response and that does add to the fun factor with them. They also are built much better and have better accessories where it actually has a usable case for portable use. The bass of the M2 is a bit boosted but very enjoyable with good mids and the treble being the last focus. RE0 is more analytical with build quality not being as good but the RE0 is more about sound first and everything else later. It has better detail than the M2 and less bass than the M2. I consider the RE0 superior on a technical level but it really depends on if you enjoy the kind of signature offered by either one.

Did you have build quality issues with your pair of RE0s? Because I never had any such problems with my pair and the build quality seemed very solid to me. The M2 may be even better built, but it's not like RE0 lacks in this department IMO - not at all, at least from my experience.

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 18
I had no issues with the RE0 (or any HifiMan earphone for that matter) but the M2 is definitely built better. I consider the RE0 to have average build quality and the M2 to be slightly better than the RE0 in build quality. I think the RE0 could be better in build quality. One would be to have a chin slider that would be more useful since it had too much resistance when trying to adjust it for it to be useful. Another thing was that the 3.5mm plug does not inspire much confidence and looks flimsy. The M2 is better built but it does lack a chin slider. That's not an issue for me since I made my own but that would be annoying for some people.

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
I had no issues with the RE0 (or any HifiMan earphone for that matter) but the M2 is definitely built better. I consider the RE0 to have average build quality and the M2 to be slightly better than the RE0 in build quality. I think the RE0 could be better in build quality. One would be to have a chin slider that would be more useful since it had too much resistance when trying to adjust it for it to be useful. Another thing was that the 3.5mm plug does not inspire much confidence and looks flimsy. The M2 is better built but it does lack a chin slider. That's not an issue for me since I made my own but that would be annoying for some people.

Well, that's true, but what I meant is that the build quality of RE0 is adequate IMO, at least in most applications an average person uses IEMs for. It may not be good enough for exercising or wearing at a general labor job, but adequate for activities which do not involve excessive perspiration and muscle movements, or exposure to extreme temperatures, water or chemicals. And of course basic precautions should be followed, such as not throwing IEMs around carelessly, keeping them safe somewhere in a pocket or pouch/case at all times and avoiding excessive pulling/strain on the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back