RE0 or anything else?
Jun 26, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 17
What sort of sound do you prefer? Cold and analytical? Warm and laid back? Clear but with head thumping sub-bass? Detailed and relaxed, detailed and upfront? And so on.

More than the type of music you listen to, it works best if you can describe the sort of sound signature you're looking for. Then we can give you advice.

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 17
Ok. Now, how are you going to use them? Active use or sedentary use? Loud environment or quiet environment? And do you plan on sleeping with them?

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm mostly going to use them sitting down at a computer, so sedentary.
I mostly will use them in a quiet enviorment, sometimes semi-loud enviorments like a bus ride.
I don't plan on sleeping with them.
I have a fiio e5 amp.
lol I have been preparing myself for the re0's lack of bass by using my m6's on bass reducer on my ipod touch.
I currently own, meelectronics m6 and m9's. Ultimate Ears super.fi 3, koss ksc75 kramer/quarter/headband modded, and jvc fx-34 marshmallows.

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 17
I just ordered the RE0, prior to that I was testing out the Klipsch S4 and the Metrofi 220, which are around the same price. 

Metrofi 220 - way too much bass and very painful tips (hard silicone).  I could tell these just weren't for me. 

S4 - much better bass/highs.  Instruments weren't as buried in the mix, but the sound sig still wasn't to my liking (a little more bass for my taste).  These are very comfortable, and stayed in during a recent jog. I like a lot about them and wouldn't mind keeping them as an exercise pair, they're very fun.

So that's my experience.  I use AKG K701s for my main listening, I'm really hoping the RE0s offer similar naturalness and detail, and hoping that they're durable!  

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 17
Yea I have heard that the highs and mids of the re0s..... and now there are ants on my laptop What.... anyways i heard the highs and mids are some of the cleanest and clearest there are, but the bass is almost non-existent.

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 17
If you want bass, consider the hippo VB. It trades some of the hyper-clarity of the re0 (although the clarity remains very respectable). And in exchange you get amazing sub-bass quantity and quality(no mid-bass bloat) and an amazing soundstage for an IEM. Otherwise the sound signature remains quite neutral. Between the two, it comes down to your own preferences. Do you see yourself as more of a basshead or an analytical listener. Both are wonderful IEMs in their respective categories, so you can't really go wrong.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 17
Neither the hippo nor the re0 have a particularly huge "wow" factor, but of the two it is the former that has a larger (relatively) one.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 17
I would suggest you take a look at this topic: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452037/playaz-n1

Its not only about the Playaz N1. The IEMs from Playaz/XEars are absolutely amazing for their low price. They don't come with any good accessories or fancy package (no package at all actually) but they sound amazing for their low prices.
They are not very talked about here in Head-fi but those who purchased them are amazed at how much sound quality they provide for such low price.

I have the RE0 and i absolutely love them but the N3 are very good also, and they costed 1/4th of the price of the RE0. I'm going to receive the XEars TD100 soon (tomorrow i hope) and I have very high hopes for them (their supposedly the best in the whole Playaz/XEars range).

Too bad you just lost a huge promotion the site had, they were selling almost every IEM for a huge discount (the TD100 for 20€ for example)

just my .02

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 17
iem - what's a "wow factor" for you? 

A wow factor for me is accurate reproduction of instruments (particularly drums), being able to hear fine detail in the recording, and not having a bloated bass that's going to turn an acoustic bass guitar into something that overwhelms all the other instruments.  If the RE0s do something similar to what my K701s do, then I'm gonna be very happy! 

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
iem - what's a "wow factor" for you? 

A wow factor for me is accurate reproduction of instruments (particularly drums), being able to hear fine detail in the recording, and not having a bloated bass that's going to turn an acoustic bass guitar into something that overwhelms all the other instruments.  If the RE0s do something similar to what my K701s do, then I'm gonna be very happy! 

Based on that i would say that you will be very very happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back