RE0, Grado SR60
Feb 23, 2010 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

semisight

500+ Head-Fier
I've wanted to try a pair of Grados for a while and here's my chance. I found a pretty good deal on a pair of SR60s but before I buy them I've got a few questions.
  • How do the sound signatures of the RE0 and SR60 compare?
  • (Related to the last one) Is there more bass on the SR60?
  • Will I really notice a difference in clarity (I've been led to believe that the RE0 is better than the SR60)?
  • Is there a huge difference between the SR60 and SR60i?

Thanks for all your help. I know the Grado is technically a full size phone so this question could be in either forum, but I feel like more people here would be familiar with the RE0 and that most people that own IEMs also own full size headphones.

-semi

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 16
well from what i know, well i have the ms1, grado headphones is more of an in your face type of sound. The soundstage on grado headphones are not that great.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeFFz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well from what i know, well i have the ms1, grado headphones is more of an in your face type of sound. The soundstage on grado headphones are not that great.

they may not have the best in terms of full-size headphones, but they're definitely better in terms of soundstage than ANY iem available. Basically, the grados will be less balanced, with more emphasis on bass & mids, while the re0s are much more detailed & balanced, but lack the "soundstage" as most iems do.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 16
Alright thanks. Soundstage has never been a huge concern for me, but the RE0 can be a little small at times so I think I'd definitely like that aspect. Is there a huge difference in clarity?

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright thanks. Soundstage has never been a huge concern for me, but the RE0 can be a little small at times so I think I'd definitely like that aspect. Is there a huge difference in clarity?

grados are quite good on the upper end, they just lack the surgical precision of the re0's. I still find my sr80s satisfying though. Full size & iems are just 2 completely different sounds, and very difficult to compare.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 16
I understand. I know the Grados aren't bad, I was just worried I wouldn't like the loss of accuracy having gotten used to the RE0. I think I'm gonna buy them. I listen to a lot of rock and I want an energetic headphone so I think they'll fit me well.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

I understand. I know the Grados aren't bad, I was just worried I wouldn't like the loss of accuracy having gotten used to the RE0. I think I'm gonna buy them. I listen to a lot of rock and I want an energetic headphone so I think they'll fit me well.

Grados = one of the best choices for rock, and I really dont think you'll miss the clarity much. They have a much bigger sound, so I think you'll be more drawn to that aspect than the loss of clarity.

I think they compliment each other nicely. Besides, you cant possibly wear the grados everywhere like you can re0s...

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 16
The Alessandro MS1 is said to excel at rock, above the SR series, so if you're looking for a set of rock cans, the MS1 is the way to go. That said, the rest of the cheaper Grado cans aren't bad at rock, they're still great, but the MS1 is said to be the ultimate cheaper Grado (well, tweaked Grado in the case of the MS1) for rock.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 16
Grados have a more energetic, aggressive sound than RE0, but RE0 is much more neutral and accurate. In terms of pure sound quality, I would place RE0 at least on par with SR225 or better.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados have a more energetic, aggressive sound than RE0, but RE0 is much more neutral and accurate. In terms of pure sound quality, I would place RE0 at least on par with SR225 or better.

That's what I was worried about, that I'd miss the quality, but I don't think I'd care that much.

I don't have much money right now, so it's this deal or nothing for a while, which puts the MS1i out of the picture (unless you're selling for a good price
biggrin.gif
).

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 16
I've seen the MS1 for around $85 before, though not often. What's the deal on the SR-60? If it's less than, say, $60, take it and be happy with it as you likely will be. I'm not exactly sure what's a good deal on these, so don't take $60 as any advice. If it's a good price, go for it.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

I've wanted to try a pair of Grados for a while and here's my chance. I found a pretty good deal on a pair of SR60s but before I buy them I've got a few questions.
  • How do the sound signatures of the RE0 and SR60 compare?
  • (Related to the last one) Is there more bass on the SR60?
  • Will I really notice a difference in clarity (I've been led to believe that the RE0 is better than the SR60)?
  • Is there a huge difference between the SR60 and SR60i?

Thanks for all your help. I know the Grado is technically a full size phone so this question could be in either forum, but I feel like more people here would be familiar with the RE0 and that most people that own IEMs also own full size headphones.

-semi

I have the SR60 and I have had the RE0. For bass, response, it's not even close. The SR60 has FAR more bass, and much fuller sound, than the RE0. The only reason to chose the RE0 over the SR60 would be if you need isolation or you just have a preference for IEMs. Overall sound quality on the SR60 is far better. I have found that you need to spend 3-4 times as much on IEMs to get a similar sound quality to full size headphones.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the SR60 and I have had the RE0. For bass, response, it's not even close. The SR60 has FAR more bass, and much fuller sound, than the RE0. The only reason to chose the RE0 over the SR60 would be if you need isolation or you just have a preference for IEMs. Overall sound quality on the SR60 is far better. I have found that you need to spend 3-4 times as much on IEMs to get a similar sound quality to full size headphones.

I find that interesting, I've read of people saying the MS1 is just below the RE0 in sheer sound quality. Of course, I don't doubt at all that the cans would be a much more complete sounding and thus sound better. As far as detail, I doubt the SR60 would beat the RE0, but in everything else other than neutrality, the RE0 is still an IEM and thus just doesn't do things the way cans can.

Oh, also, I think the improved version is a tad darker in sound, so if you like the RE0 the non improved version should be fine.

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #14 of 16
I think it's very difficult to compare a full size headphone with an IEM. I'd buy the SR60 and if you don't like it you can sell it on here without losing much. I personally like the sound signature of the SR line better with bowls or flats better than the comfies, which I think come stock on the SR60.

If the SR60 doesn't sound like your RE0 it doesn't necessarily mean that you won't like it. I've owned (and still own) a few Grados, Shure SE210 and SE310, UE SF5 Pro, UE TF10 custom shelled.. and I enjoyed them all for different qualities!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 16
I'll agree with intoflatlines, the SR60 sound best with bowls - specifically reversed bowls. I haven't heard the RE0s, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are better at resolving details in the music. But at least for my personal tastes, an analytical and resolving sound just can't compare with the fuller, euphonic and musical sound the SR60s produce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back