RE0 but better for my liking...
Jun 19, 2010 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Bart1981

New Head-Fier
At the moment I have a RE0 headhones. They sound great, And they have a real nice natural presentation, but I can't get used to the seal which stays not in place which results in a terrible sound. And offcourse the bass is a bit soft compared to most of the music I like. I prefer a bit more bass en a bit more warmer sound.

So now I'm wondering if I should sell them or trade them with some other IEM's.

The once I allready noticed were the:
- Super Fi.5 Pro
- Monster Turbines
- SoundMagic PL50
- MEElectronics Ai-M6
- SoundMagic PL50
- Audio Techica ATH-CKS70

So which of these ones will fit my needingd?
I want a clear crystal sound with a bit additional bass and a slight warm sound,
I'd rather listern to trance/hardsyle/club, but also Enya, Katie Melua, etc.

Amount should be around €100,-- (except for the Super FI. 5 Pro)

What would your advise be for a IE-monitor. Or some other IEM in addition ot the list I already put on here....
Should I stay with the RE0 and pumpung up the bass, but then again I'm not settiesfied with the seal.... Not matter what earplugs I use.
Some help needed please....

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
Crystal-clear sound with a bit additional bass and a slight warm sound sounds like the e-Q7 to me but its way above your budget. Perhaps the Re-ZERO or Re252?

++ They should be more toned down in the treble compared to the RE0, but the fit won't be an improvement with those. Have you considered getting custom tips for your RE0?

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 19
I tried about 5 deifferent slevees with the RE0 but none of them would fit perfectly. And espaecially at the gym they come out of my ears pretty soon, and beginning tot sound like hell. (i received some extra slevves becease one was damaged. So now I have 2 pairs small, 2x medium, 2x large, 1 pair white tripple flange, 1pair of black double flange, but all not with a perfect fit.
And in order to make the RE0 sound good you need a real goot fit.

She Super Fi.5 pro Are also above my pricerange, but heard many good things of them. But is it true the Monter Turbines even deafeat them??? I can hardly blelieve that!!!. And here in Holland the
super Fi.5 pro can be bought fit €166,-- so rather cheap. 

The Audio Technica looks ok, bu maybe a bit too much bass for my liking...

For now I'm really confused what to do, even though I haven't sold my RE0's yet...

@Pianist: What kind of custom tips were you think of? Where to buy? And I suppuse I just put up the bass way up for a descent bass sounds then,

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 19
I have the re0's and the superfi 5 pros.  The pros have WAY more bass impact than the re0's and can run off the smell of an oily rag - but they can hiss more with some devices.  Does not bother me much, until someone brought it to my attention (sorry).  Have you tried getting comply tips for your re0's?  Apparently the same model comply's (t400's) fit both the re0's and the superfi's.  If you are used to the re0's, it is quite a change going to the superfi 5pros.  And you may have similar seal issues.  Cheaper option is to try comply or foam tips with your re0's first and then see....

dont get me wrong, I often prefer my superfi pros to my re0's.  They are a more fun phone to listen to because of the bass, and they have dual armatures (one dedicated to bass).  Some claim that it splits up the frequencies too much but I don't find it so.

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 19
I recommend staying away from the Super.fi 5 Pros.  They do have more bass than the RE0, but that is the RE0's big weakness.  I found the SF5 Pros to be very uncomfortable, and the sound signature is odd -- it was painful to listen to them at high volumes.  I am a big fan of the Klipsch X5, which you can sometimes get on sale for $150.  Nice balanced and full sound, and very comfortable for IEMs.  If you've only got $100 or less, it's hard to beat the RE0.  They are lacking in bass, though.  If you want more bass, you can go for the Klipsch S4, which has much better bass than the RE0 but an inferior overall sound signature.

Just my 2 cents.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 19
I don't know where this "stay away from the superfi 5pro's " came from, these are some of the best phones that I have owned.  I do not find them uncomfortable.  they do have to go over your ears, with the wire bit, but the sound sig. is great.  I am still trying to come to grips with my re0's sound sig.  Also, why would you listen to any canal phones at high volumes?  Deaf yet?  The beauty of them is that you can listen to them at normal levels and still get nice bass weight - something that cannot be said for many cans.  I can only speak positively about my experience with the 5pros and would imagine that Scott549 is in the minority.  

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 19
I also recommend to stay away from UE Super.fi 5 Pro. They used to be good in the old days, but today there are much better options out there, like RE0, Q-jays, Sleek Audio SA6 and Fischer Audio DBA-02. Super.fi 5 Pro lacks balance and coherency - it is a poor dual driver design IMO.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 19
Those Fischer Audio DBA-02 look really nice! Also the Q-jays look very promising....
Pure on the looks, I prefer those. But how do they handle the bass in comparison with the RE0?

The DBA-02 is a double driver IEM
If I'm not mistaken the Q-Jays also do have a double driver right?

So how do these two compare?
In sound and price???

And does somebody know a good trutworthy cheap shop to by them, which also ships to The Netherlands???
(If I'll be able to sell my RE0 first...)

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
Those Fischer Audio DBA-02 look really nice! Also the Q-jays look very promising....
Pure on the looks, I prefer those. But how do they handle the bass in comparison with the RE0?

The DBA-02 is a double driver IEM
If I'm not mistaken the Q-Jays also do have a double driver right?

So how do these two compare?
In sound and price???

And does somebody know a good trutworthy cheap shop to by them, which also ships to The Netherlands???
(If I'll be able to sell my RE0 first...)

The dba02 has slightly more bass impact, but i wouldn't say a lot more. Maybe about 4db louder? Bass speed and tightness is excellent, slightly better than the re0 which already has a tight and speedy bass. The re0 has slightly more of a rumble though, as its a dynamic driver after all.

Never heard the Q-jays but i believe it is well agreed that the dba02 is great value for money. Only thing is that they won't be in stock until late next month.

Why not get comply tips or something for the re0?

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 19
Well I actually have different tips for the RE0 (double flanged, tripple flanged, single flanged, small/ medium/ large, but non make the seal real perfect. So at the gym I keep on adjusting the IEM's in order to get a decent sound. Something I never had with my cx300's. And I think the sound is a bit to natural/balanced for me. I prefer a bit more bass and a warmer sound.

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 19
You could try the newly released mc5s which should have a similar sound sig to the HF5s (which are similar to RE0s in that they attempt a flat frequency response), but with more bass. Still too early to know just how much more it will have though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back