RE-ZERO: Photos & First Thoughts - Now with Review Links!
Jun 21, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #61 of 237
How are those re-zero reviews coming along guys ?
Im dying to hear a bit more about the SQ compared to the RE0.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #62 of 237
Quote:
That seems to make sense considering Sharp used the same configuration with their 4-pole earphones (i.e. MD33, etc.):

If it is indeed the same, then I would assume that anyone who owns one of Sharp's 1-bit portable MD players should be able to use the RE-ZERO without the adapter.

I wonder if you can just put a tiny bit of solder between L- and R- so it'll work like normal plug, while still fit into the socket.

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #65 of 237

Quote:
How are those re-zero reviews coming along guys ?
Im dying to hear a bit more about the SQ compared to the RE0.

[size=11pt] 1st of all, i cant believe until now only two posts about RE-Zero , i was really hoping i could escape this one and just chip in as little as possible since i really don't think i could write a good review because English is not my 1st language.[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] any way, i will try my best.[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] any one loves RE0 should grab a RE-zero while you can !! coz its that good. other wise i think it is a shame head-direct makes RE-Zero a limited edition.[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] i m not sure if other 3 winners or people who bought RE-Zero during CAMJAN 2010 share the same opinion or impression as me.....[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] but my initial impression of RE-Zero when i received it on 16th June was immediately that RE-Zero is better.[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] but i couldn't post my feedback straight away as knowing that RE-zero has lower impedance compare to RE0, louder doesn't mean it is better plus that morning both earphone sound sharp to my ears as i just woke up and my ears were sensitive.[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] one thing for sure is that RE-Zero should be much easier to drive for portable mp3 players ~ when use the included splitter to connect both earphones to my hifiman 801, i notice that i need to tune up the volume higher just to get the same level of loudness as RE-Zero for RE0[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] 2nd thing i can say for sure is the stage sound much closer to me compare to RE0, i felt that straight away when i received the RE-zero but same doubt arise as i wasn't sure if it is the impedance effect so until i can compare them in the same loudness i cant make the call.[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] many people have different ways of describing and i don't have time to read their review and learn their way. this is how i would describe my 2nd point.[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] the RE0 stage sound like steps away from me while RE-Zero sounded much closer~' i don't wanna compare RE-Zero to my other phones such as TF10 pro or ultrasone pro 900 or other phones i have heard before but don't have them at the moment for comparison, lets just keep it simple and compare these two together.[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] with RE0 the stage sounded few steps away while some instrument sound even further than the vocal ( i m using Flac jazz song to compare the two). also from the song of my choice, some instruments sounded muddy(i think it is Saxophone or some sort of aerophone) as RE0 seem having trouble to separate the details.... which RE-Zero pick up  and made me realize when comparing to the RE0.[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] if stage(or space? at least that’s how I felt)  is the right word to describe, i would say RE-zero sound much bigger as i felt i m surrounded like it is taller~ wider and deeper. Some thing I found from TF10 pro and ultrasone pro 900( which is a headphone not earphone)[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] While with RE0 the stage is like a huge balloon few steps away from me (there is nothing wrong  though as I quite like it this way, more relaxing~ just different presentation and different preference I suppose)[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] My TF10 pro is not with me at the moment so I cant compare it with RE-zero. but  if you ask me I would say RE-zero is steps closer to TF10 pro compare with RE0.[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] RE-zero and RE0 is not in the same class, RE-Zero is superior than RE0 to me~ it is not a $99 earphone.[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] I made statement about RE-zero 's bass is double of  RE0, yes I think that statement still stays, albeit about 80 or 90% more instead of 100% more , it is not an overstatement because it is not hard to beat to begin with. since it is not hard to grow from 1 to 2 but of course it would different if it is from 4 to 8[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] but I felt RE0 's bass are slightly tighter than RE-zero~ just a bit really[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] I like to add that being owner of TF10 pro and ultrasone pro 900, RE0's bass is not bad at all to be honest now that I have the chance to hear it again (I loss listening to RE0 for about 5 months as left unit stop working but I didn’t have time to mail it back to head-direct for warranty service until recently, while Head-direct took only few days to get it done because of verification of ownership, then shipping to and back makes whole process about 2~3 weeks which Is not head-direct's fault but post office in malaysia)[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] To hear RE0 again I felt the quality of bass is really really good ! If the quantity can be much richer then it will sound like DT990 pro…. Which is the phone I compare with ultrasone pro 900 but had to drop it because the quantity just slightly less than pro 900, I would really wish to own both how ever redundant purchase decision just not in my nature……[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] That is also why I m going to sell my TF10 pro while keeping RE0 (mind you that TF10 pro has nothing wrong at all as It is still my choice after hearing IE8 and shure SE530 during my trip in taiwan. IE8 & SE530 didn’t make me give up TF10 pro, at best they r on par I felt)[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] RE0 is that good that I don’t feel missing out much if I sell my TF10 pro judging the price difference, I really like the vocal and classic music presentation RE0 provides , also the fit is so much better and comfortable compare to TF10 pro, its lighter and easier and more relax to wear.no doubt TF10 pro is excellent phone and all rounded but it will be redundant to me as i prefer each phone serves different purpose and song type.[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] If ultrasone pro 900's bass is 10, then RE0 is 2 while RE-zero is about 3~4[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] so there you have it~' this is how i felt from comparing RE0 V.S RE-zero[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] P.S: both earphone are stock version as i didnt do any mode to RE0 such as take away the filter foam etc. also RE0 is warranty service unit, assuming if it is brand new then both phones only run-in over 50 but under 100 hours. also the DAP is hifiman 801 not a balanced DAP (although head-direct is considering a true balanced add-on board for hifiman 801) so i wouldnt say that i have heard the true potential of RE-zero[/size]
[size=11pt]  [/size]
[size=11pt] edit: 4/7/2010 -    the jazz song i used for comparison is "Club des Belugas - Swop" when i have time i will try go back and find the exact time of the song where i heard difference.[/size]

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #67 of 237

Quote:
interesting

u felt differently ? please do tell~ as i only compare the bass and sound stage in my post and need other 3 people's opinion and i m also curious of what others think. in one sentence RE-zero is better than RE0 on bass and sound stage( more like i pick the easierest and most obvious to describe....... 1st mover's advantage lol  )

if i sound overly praise of RE-zero v.s TF10 pro then dont get me wrong, TF10 pro is better but it's spot is now waiting to be replace by future purchase~ i just felt i dont need a phone thats good in every thing but not best in every thing(i heard JH16 pro and it is better than my TF10 pro)~ while RE0 is keeper for the price, who knows when my ultrasone pro 900 will be replace ? (T1 and RS1i is my next favorite but wont replace pro 900 as bass wasnt their best strength, RS1i has sweet sound~ i look forward the day i hear HE-6LE)

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #68 of 237
thanks testrichard.
i am very interested in the comparison between the re0 and the re-zero so thanks for giving your opinion on that.

are you planning on going to the Head-Fi Brisbane Meet saturday 17th July ?
i'd really like to hear those zeros.
L3000.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #69 of 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrichard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If ultrasone pro 900's bass is 10, then RE0 is 2 while RE-zero is about 3~4

No wonder. PRO900 is a real bass monster - it has lots and lots of bass, wayyy too much to my ears. RE0 is very slightly bass shy in the sub bass region with universal tips IMO. RE-ZERO must be about right/neutral quantity wise.

But anyway - great impressions. Keep 'em comin'.

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #70 of 237

Quote:
thanks testrichard.
i am very interested in the comparison between the re0 and the re-zero so thanks for giving your opinion on that.

are you planning on going to the Head-Fi Brisbane Meet saturday 17th July ?
i'd really like to hear those zeros.
L3000.gif

sorry to disappoint you, i m now working in malaysia~ australia passport has advantage over here as we got arrival visa free of charge for three months and can always go over boarder such as indonesia or singapore for renew and its cheap to do so.

i do how ever really really miss australia's fast internet...... internet here is terrible!! (and woman, and night life , and many many other things lol )

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #72 of 237
Australia has decent internet, it's just overpriced and you're generally stuck with one of the two big telcos. That and there's that looming 'internet filter' that Mr. Conroy has stupidly stood behind for far too long. Although, I heard they they may scrap that because of upcoming elections.
Either way, the internet is the only thing I don't miss about living there, if that says anything. I'm fine with cheaper and faster over here.

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #73 of 237
wait till you try Malaysia's , fastest speed is 4M and it is only theoretically possible ;p also the electricity is very unstable, you dont even get inform before they shock down the power line and the unstable current kills your modem~ power adapter and your electronic stuff all the time ......

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #74 of 237
I've spent a few more minutes with the RE-ZERO today. I still can't use them portably so for now my listening to them requires dedicated sit-down time, which I'm not particularly prone to doing with IEMs, but I have to say, whether or not they are better than the RE0, these earphones still easily hold their own against anything costing <$150 for the type of sound they put out. The delicacy of the treble was a huge relief after a full day with the Hippo VB, which tend to be rather edgy.

I also tried my various extension cables with the RE-ZERO in the hopes that one would work without that silly adapter. Unfortunately, the only one I found to work was my Philips SJM208 splitter, which is arguably even less portable than the adapter I got from Head-Direct but at least doesn't produce static when jostled.

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #75 of 237

Quote:
Australia has decent internet, it's just overpriced and you're generally stuck with one of the two big telcos. That and there's that looming 'internet filter' that Mr. Conroy has stupidly stood behind for far too long. Although, I heard they they may scrap that because of upcoming elections.
Either way, the internet is the only thing I don't miss about living there, if that says anything. I'm fine with cheaper and faster over here.

The filter will probably be scrapped along with a bunch of other stuff with our new Prime Minister. Yes, we just got a new PM - Australia's first female PM! :D Honestly, she has one of the strongest Australian accents you will ever hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back