Re-thinking my setup...
Oct 8, 2010 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sorensiim

Headphoneus Supremus
I bring my head-fi setup to work every day to filter block out the office noise. Listening to just about everything from Norah Jones to Rammstein, I mind my own business at my desk. My current setup is a pair of AKG K271 mk II with custom 4-feet "Truth" cable by ZXAC, a Styleaudio Carat HD-1V headamp/USB dac and a 2,5" 320gb usb disk with a ton of flac files. I enjoy the clarity and especially the comfort of my AKG's but I miss the aggressive, punchy bass from the Ultrasone HFI-680's I had before. Unfortunatly, wearing the Ultrasones for more than an hour was about as comfortable as having your head in a vice, so they had to go. Not long ago I picked up a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5Vi in-ears for my phone and I must say I'm rather impressed. Tons of clarity and detail from those tiny buds.

Now I'm considering getting an iPod 80gb (5.5 gen) with rockbox and a pair of Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 and ditching my AKG's and headamp altogether. Has anyone here tried the Triple.Fi 10's un-amped on an old (as in 5.5 gen, wolfson DAC) iPod and possibly with a portable amp? Then I'd have a pocketable rig instead of my current setup that requires it's own bag as well as a computer for playback... 

What would you guys do if you needed something to listen to for 6-8 hours a day - at work? Would another usbdac/headamp like the iBasso D10 give my AKG's the punchy bass I miss? Are the UE's comfortable enough for longer periods of time?

Oct 9, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Awesome, thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

Put my rig up for sale this morning, time to go iPod and amp hunting as soon as it sells
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back